Sign in to follow this  
fomocoguy

Lawn Ranger engine swap

fomocoguy

Hey all! So, two days ago the 6hp Tecumseh in my 66 Lawn Ranger busted it's rod. I'd been wanting to find something a little bigger for it anyway; the little engine just didn't quite cut it sometimes. Today I went and bought a Swisher "Big Mow" and the guy turned me on to a nice 8hp Briggs industrial side shaft motor for $60. So, my question is this: aside from some obvious clearance issues that will require some hood trimming or a smaller air cleaner (or both), are there any other reasons that this engine would be a bad choice? I just want to hear from someone who's done this swap and get a heads up on any issues there may be. The motor runs like a top so it would be great if it fits ok. Thanks!

OH, btw, how do the pullys come off the crank on the tecumseh? Are they just pressed on and needs a claw puller to come off?

sorekiwi

OH, btw, how do the pullys come off the crank on the tecumseh? Are they just pressed on and needs a claw puller to come off?

There will be a setscrew in the pulley that seats on top of the key in the shaft. From memory there is only one. You may need to use a puller, but sometimes they'll come off with a little careful levering from behind.

Cant help with your other questions, as I have no experiance of the Briggs.

pfrederi

Does the B&S have a straight 1" shaft? If not the pulley will be somewhat of an issue.

fomocoguy

There will be a setscrew in the pulley that seats on top of the key in the shaft. From memory there is only one. You may need to use a puller, but sometimes they'll come off with a little careful levering from behind.

Cant help with your other questions, as I have no experiance of the Briggs.

Cool, my tiller has the same kind of setup. Thanks!

fomocoguy

Does the B&S have a straight 1" shaft? If not the pulley will be somewhat of an issue.

Yep, it sure does. That's why I jumped on it when I saw it. I was hoping it would be electric start (it's not), but niether is my tecumpsy so I can live with that.

fomocoguy

After doing some preliminary measuring today it looks promising. The only thing is the crank snout will sit about half an inch higher than it does now, so I may have to modify the belt gaurd to make some more room at the top so the drive belt doesn't rub it. There will definetly be some hood trimming for air cleaner clearance, but the hood is banged up anyways so it's no big deal.