Sign in to follow this  
Nick

High scrap prices

Nick

Well I knew steel was going up but sounds like the local price has went from $149 a ton ,what we got late last year, up to $295 now. :WRS: Thats just the lower end, good sorted steel must be up around $340 a ton or even more now.

What that means is more than ever scrap buyers will be at auctions buying anything that sells cheap to melt it down. :whistle:

CasualObserver

great... with scrap that high...now you won't even be able to buy parts tractors for less than $100. Economic stimulus my foot. Better tie up your horses boys... thieves will strike. I lock my little garden shed, and I live in town.

Nick

Jason brings up a good point I forgot about. There are some thieves going around this area stealing anything that they can get ahold of. Metal of any kind and batteries. I heard of one farmer that had the batteries stolen from all his equipment. Not only that they cut the cables so he had to buy those also. :whistle: Another farmer came home to find the batteries all in a pile out in a field so they must have been scared off before they got them loaded.

whchris

i think im gonna get into train scrapping :whistle: no to be truth full i am picking every single metal thing up off the side of the road that has a free sign on it and am not doing too bad

BairleaFarm

great... with scrap that high...now you won't even be able to buy parts tractors for less than $100. Economic stimulus my foot. Better tie up your horses boys... thieves will strike. I lock my little garden shed, and I live in town.

Yeap, same thing i was thinking. Lock them up.

One our our other shops at the A/C unit cut and stolen. You know the big grey ones that sit behind buildings. Crazy what people will take.

wse100

where I am (South Bend) we only get $170.00 a ton, and that is much more than the any joe off the street cause I know the guy who owns the company.

$340.00 a ton wow, I should start Hauling scrap you way, but with the price of oil I better not. :whistle:

Copper is $3.00 a pound, I know some farmesr the got there irrigation wires cut, yep the long copper wires that run all along there irrigation units. almost $2000.00 worth of wires. (Scrap price)

Nick

For some that price difference on a large load would be worth the drive to Ohio. I think Omni in St marys Ohio is around 30 miles from the Indiana line just off 33. My brother called around yesterday getting prices to haul in a backhoe for a friend. He found $269 and $294 at 2 salvage places that didnt want the tires and one junk yard said $250 a ton with the tires. It was just my guess that clean steel would be up around $340 a ton.

Kelly

Ya the parts tractors I was buying at the local yard last year for $30 or less are up to $75 now, that's a bummer because there is a lot of stuff getting scraped with the price so high, I can't buy them all.

linen beige

Hey guys, Copper thefts have been rampant here in the bluegrass for a couple of years now. Folks are swiping cat. converters from parked cars, copper from air conditioning units, even aluminum siding and gutters from occupied homes. A story in yesterday's news told of some area internet and phone service being out due to a theif stealing the lines. Last fall one of these idiots fried himself trying to take a whole transformer from a substation! :wtf: And to make it even better, when they started cleaning up they discovered he had managed to already take another one. :WRS: I'm talking about the big square ones too big to fit in a pick-up! :whistle: Home builders are having to keep employees in unfinished houses 24/7 to keep theives from ripping out the wiring overnight. We can only hope that these prices don't spell the end of chances of finding some abandoned 'Horses in the fencerows. :D

BairleaFarm

'Horses in the fencerows.

o It will. I say a wheel horse fram at a junkyard not long ago. No nothing by a frame rear end and wheel. I offered the guy 50$ and he said no it would scrap for that. Why scrap something when some one wants it?

glenn27

Been cutting catalytic convertors off vehicles here--big demand--one dealership lost 1/2 dozen in one evening... :whistle: