Sign in to follow this  
IDriveWheelHorse

312-A vs 312-8

IDriveWheelHorse

Hey all,

What is the difference between the 312-A (Didn't know there was such a thing) and 312-8?

And about how much can somone expect to pay for a decent 312-A?

Thanks..

Oh and by the way check my wanted ads.. I'm in the market for one. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Mostly transmission - the 312-8 had a 8 speed transmission, the 312-A was a hydro. The 312-A was only made two years, 1986 with a K301 12 hp Kohler and 1987 with a M12S 12 hp Kohler Magnum. The 312-8 was made from 1985 and 1986 with the K301 Kohler, 1987 to 1997 with the M12S Kohler Magnum and from 1998 to 2001 with a CH12.5 12.5 hp Kohler Command.

IDriveWheelHorse

Mostly transmission - the 312-8 had a 8 speed transmission, the 312-A was a hydro. The 312-A was only made two years, 1986 with a K301 12 hp Kohler and 1987 with a M12S 12 hp Kohler Magnum. The 312-8 was made from 1985 and 1986 with the K301 Kohler, 1987 to 1997 with the M12S Kohler Magnum and from 1998 to 2001 with a CH12.5 12.5 hp Kohler Command.

Thanks a lot. Probably makes sense why it's a little more in price then being a hydro. (Which is a plus)

It will be stuck between a 312-A, C-145 or C-175... Almost thinking it may be worth going that extra couple years to have the latest and greatest of the WH vs the C Series.

Somone called me this morning and offered their '86 312-A for $800.

We'll see. I'm 21 years old, working full time and going to school full time.. have a house and wanting the best of the best (and for other sentimental reasons) a nice wheel horse.

:thumbs:

Sparky

If it was me I would take the C-145 over the other tractors you mentioned and definitly over the 312-A. If the C-145 is a hydro it will have the Eaton 1100 tranny which is a good heavy duty unit. The 312-A probably has the Eaton 700 which is a lighter duty unit and you end up with a tractor with manual lift where the C-145 would have hydraulic lift. The C-145 could also be an 8 speed manual tranny which is also a bullet-proof unit.

Mike........

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs: :):wh::) I had a 312A for a while I thought the tractor was great the only down fall is the manual lift. As Mike said with the Eaton tyranny are not like the Sundstrand tyranny's are much heaver Duty like my C141 it is built proof. if u would like to have a tractor that u do not want to shift go Auto. but ALWAYS USE THE BRAKE BEFORE GOING INTO REVERSE OR FORWARD. I hope this helps Gary B......p.s. I do many picks to look at if u like to see them.

kpinnc

If it was me I would take the C-145 over the other tractors you mentioned and definitly over the 312-A. If the C-145 is a hydro it will have the Eaton 1100 tranny which is a good heavy duty unit. The 312-A probably has the Eaton 700 which is a lighter duty unit and you end up with a tractor with manual lift where the C-145 would have hydraulic lift. The C-145 could also be an 8 speed manual tranny which is also a bullet-proof unit.

Mike........

Ditto! :):wh:

Now a 312-H would be a different story. :thumbs: It has the heavy transmission pump (Eaton 1100) exactly like the C-145.

I actually have the same tranny that is on a 312-A that is an awesome transmission. I've only kept it because they (the ones that are still strong) are kinda hard to find. The actual transaxle (gears, axles, case) is the same with all three mentioned hydros, it's just that the pump turning them, the Eaton 700, is smaller- and has no charge pump for the hydraulic lift.

Kevin

squonk

I've got a decent 314-A that I'm going to be selling for half of that. Mike

sorekiwi

But the 312-A had the pretty louvred hood!! :thumbs:

IDriveWheelHorse

Very true, thanks for the input guys.

Yeah I went to see Kelly this morning... and let me tell you guys, this guy knows his stuff.

Also if you need parts, pretty much anything down to a cotter key, this guy has it!

But anyway I went and took a look at both the C-145 and 312-A today.

The C-145 by far beats the 312-A by just the transmission itself. (I will be doing some plowing so I think the heavy duty may be more suited for me.)

And I don't know about you guys, but I would NEVER put a semi truck horn on the top of my beautiful 312-A... Ehh yeah that guy is crazy, but he brought his price from $800 to $450 for the entire unit, rust here and there, bad belts, Kohler 12 had at least a half of an inch of dust on it, clipped wires, headlights missing bezels, PTO Engagement and Transmission levers both entirely rusted??? Never have seen that before. And the deck was trashed, completely rusted in a 6" by 6" circle near the center spindle. Pros to the unit were the chrome wheel covers.. those seem to be hard to find and they were in decent shape, along with the tires.

As for the C-145... Hoping it will be mine tomorrow. :thumbs: :)

wheel horse 312

i have a 1991 312-8 speed i like the tractor it do's everything i want it to do :ychain: