Sign in to follow this  
JMW

got a new one

JMW

ok i just picked this one up about an hour ago .I know it doesnt have the right engine on it, but it is in pretty good shape.If someone could help me with the year of the tractor and the engine i would appreciate it.it is a 500 special here are the numbers i got off the tractor 1 3631 485329 .the engine #s are mod#143302 type#502523 ser# 57916. I know that its probably not worth much but i got a good deal on it (I think).Thanks for your help. Jim. 003.jpg001.jpg002.jpg

Trouty56

My info tells me that the tractor is a 1968 model.

A Tecumseh H60-75118H 6hp would have been the stock engine.

Sparky

1-3631 1968 Lawn & Garden Tractor 500 Special 4-Speed Tecumseh H60-75118H 6 Wheel Horse 5053

Copied right from the model# list here at Redsquare :thumbs: .

Mike..........

Docwheelhorse

At least the previous owner was smart and pulled out the Tecumseh and stuck in that big beautiful Briggs!!!! :)

Tony :thumbs: of the Tecumseh guys....

JMW

Next question ? I s this worth restoring or is it a wast of time to find the right engine for it?

Indy w h

There all worth restoring !!! It depends on if you want to restore it??

Indy

stevasaurus

:wh: Looks like you did alright. Nice horse. :thumbs: Nothing wrong with that Briggs on her, but if you wanted to restore to original, there are plenty of HH60s around. :)

hcminis

Nice find. First thing I would do is turn the hood ornament around.

Isn't that an Indianapolis 500 Special. Shouldn't it have the cross flags on the side by gas tank?

JMW

Thanks for all the input on my new find. The information was very helpful. I wasn't sure if i was going to keep it or sell it but i looked at it good today and i kinda like the little thing.I'm gonna keep the briggs on it just because it's old and a little different.When my son and I are done with his puller I think i'll do a complete restore on her.Once again... thanks for the help. Jim.

JMW

I also forgot to ask....I paid $80.00 for it. Don't know if it's a good price but....I'm good with it.Any input on the price? Feel free to let me know if it was too much or not.She will be my first short frame and my son and I like her, so she will be in the family for a long time.Thanks, Jim.

Docwheelhorse

$80 was more than fair ..... also---not all 500 Specials came with the cross flags.... Those Briggs motors are great and oainted red would lok right at home in that tractor.

Tony

sorekiwi

There's some pictures of some nice restorations in the picture gallery: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2420

They're a good little tractor, if your Briggs runs well I'd stick with it. I see you have the original seat, a fibreglass shell. Very hard to find a nice one.

Your serial # indicates it is one of the earlier ones. I think your steering wheel has been changed. I am guessing that there is a hole in the front of the hood for a headlight bucket - later 500 Specials didnt have this hole, and this model never had headlights anyway (no electrics!!)

I have two of these tractors, this one is about 100 tractors later than yours:

IMG_2636-1.jpg

chevy030303

:thumbs: very lucky to find 1 i would love to have a 500

JMW

Thank you for the info about the checkered flag decal because this is a fairly untouched original (except the engine).There is some small spots of spray paint here and there but no signs of the flags ever being there.Thanks, Jim.

JMW

New update The guy i bought this one from just called and said he has another 500 that i can look at! GOonna go look at it sunday.I'll let you all know....man.... the the wife ain't gonna like me much :thumbs:

baerpath

New update The guy i bought this one from just called and said he has another 500 that i can look at! GOonna go look at it sunday.I'll let you all know....man.... the the wife ain't gonna like me much :thumbs:

Don't worry Jim after the first dozen she won't notice them anymore :)

Duane