Sign in to follow this  
JBsDeere

Still not running right

JBsDeere

I'm fed up with it. Had the local WH shop rebuild the carb and impulse pump and it did nothing to help the problem. It won't idle, and will sputter and hunt at high idle. I've adjusted the carburetor, replaced the plug, filter, etc. All I get is the governor arm sweeping from open to closed as it tries to stay running.

I think it's narrowed the problem down to a bad governor or spring.

Still wondering how it went from running great then dying out and not wanting to run. :) Could it have chunked a valve? :thumbs:

Anyone have some other thoughts? I really don't feel like tearing down the engine in the near future. :wh:

stevasaurus

Can you take some pics of the linkage and the governor? Pics can work wonders and give us a chance to see if everything is alright. Got a feeling you are right about the spring thingy. You say that you can't understand how this can happen, from running great to not running. Ever have a bad day? hits happens. Could be bad gas...been there done that. :thumbs: filter, etc. Post some pics of the linkage and springs if you would. Go from there. :)

Techy's rule

WH nut

You could have a plugged muffler. Take the breather off and try running full RPM. See if there is gas droplet shooting out the Carb. If it is you have a restricted exhaust

Coadster32

You could have a plugged muffler.

I agree, and it's an easy place to start. :thumbs: Take the muffler off and see if it idles. If that's not it, disconnect the govenor setup, or hold it still by hand, and see if it idles, (without load of course). That should narrow it down for you. If it isn't these two, adjust the carb setting. If it is your govenor, it might not be set correctly. You also might have some adjustment on it for sensativity. Good luck.

JBsDeere

I went out and took pictures tonight but the wonderful memory card in my camera decided to eat them and I have no idea where they went :thumbs: The governor assembly has not been removed though. It only would be out of adjustment if it somehow came loose when removing the carburetor.

Maybe tomorrow I can get the time to go take new pictures, check the muffler, and drain the gas.

JBsDeere

D'OH! I fail *facepalm*

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-61-1290290636.jpg

JBsDeere

and another...

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-61-1290290695.jpg