Sign in to follow this  
KB9LOR

Tranny Help!

KB9LOR

Got the tranny all ready to go back together, but the problem is when I put the halves together the tranny wont shift, anyone have any tricks to getiing this tranny together and to be able to shift? it is a 3 -speed tranny. I have taken it apart many times to no avail! I am really flustered with it. It is a model # 5049 tranny.

puddlejumper

Try reading through steves how two on page 2 of this section REbuilding 3 speed transmission. It is not exactly the same trans as yours but it is step by step.

stevasaurus

Brian...did you fill the holes where the fork shafts go with grease of something? If you put too much in and the grease doesn't have anywhere to go, that may be keeping the shift fork shafts from moving into the holes as far as they should. That would bind the shafts when you bolt the halves back together. Just a thought...let me know.

Do you have it in neutral when you are putting it back together? Also...are you sure the detente balls and spring and piece of metal in the spring are all OK? You should be able to pry the forks up or down with out the halves together...leaving one of the forks in the neutral position.

KB9LOR

Brian...did you fill the holes where the fork shafts go with grease of something? If you put too much in and the grease doesn't have anywhere to go, that may be keeping the shift fork shafts from moving into the holes as far as they should. That would bind the shafts when you bolt the halves back together. Just a thought...let me know.

Do you have it in neutral when you are putting it back together? Also...are you sure the detente balls and spring and piece of metal in the spring are all OK? You should be able to pry the forks up or down with out the halves together...leaving one of the forks in the neutral position.

No lubed those up with light lube. Yes it is in neutral when putting back together, and goes together quite easily. never had the forks out, only changed the cluster gear and third gear. the forks move freelly until the two halves are put together, I am ay a loss, will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help! It is very much appreciated!!

KB9LOR

Steve, I have a clip ring at the top of the second/ high gear shaft, I do not see one on yours.

100_1029.jpg

100_1031.jpg

100_1030.jpg

100_1028.jpg

TT

It's been a little while since I split a dinosaur hiney :thumbs::) , but I'm 99.9% sure that the smaller gear "under" the snap ring should go "above" the snap ring.

KB9LOR

It's been a little while since I split a dinosaur hiney :thumbs::) , but I'm 99.9% sure that the smaller gear "under" the snap ring should go "above" the snap ring.

Well that might be my whole problem TT, thank you very much!!

KB9LOR

Dangnabit TT you were right again! swapped that gear and "boing" It was the problem, everything works as it should! thank you!!!!! I was going to wait until tomorrow but could not wait, it was killing me, so out I went! Now just has to be re-installed and filled up with some 90wt!

TT

Dangnabit TT you were right again!

Nahhhhhh........ just a lucky guess. :)

Glad I could help. :thumbs:

KB9LOR

Dangnabit TT you were right again!

Nahhhhhh........ just a lucky guess. :wh:

Glad I could help. :)

Regardless, you are the MAN! I admit it! :thumbs:

stevasaurus

You nailed it TT...just like it shows on page 23 of the trans manual. Brian...pictures are worth a thousand words...that is why you couldn't see it in my pictures. It is under that gear. Very cool...glad you figured it out. :) :thumbs:

KB9LOR

You nailed it TT...just like it shows on page 23 of the trans manual. Brian...pictures are worth a thousand words...that is why you couldn't see it in my pictures. It is under that gear. Very cool...glad you figured it out. :):thumbs:

Thank you too! steve! I did not see it in yours and thought Uh oh! something is not right, but wanted to get clarification before I changed something! whew!! but all is good now! thanks again!