Sign in to follow this  
PPGman

Snow Blower

PPGman

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but does anyone have a good picture of their assist spring setup used when lifting the snowblower? I'm trying to fit my single stage thrower up to my c-120 or the 416 for the season and both have manual lift. My other C has an electric lift, (which would be perfect), but unfortunatly the actuator has bit the dust!

Thinking if i get this thing light enough, maybe i'll put the wife in charge of doing the driveway this winter :thumbs:

racinfool40

:thumbs: just put mine on and put back in the barn to late for pic Plus Mrs. has the camera...But on your lift flag their is a piece welded on that holds an eye bolt mine is 5&1/2" long "just replaced it"my spring hooked to it and I ran the spring to the round stock that hold the footrest towards front of tractor. as far as the spring I've replaced mine with a much heavier spring that I picked up from TSC. I hope this will help if not I can get pics in the morning...

MaineDad

Here's a picture;

IMG00129.jpg

danjmah

Here is the assist spring for my Snow Thrower 79360.

79360_Assist_Spring1.jpg

PPGman

Thanks much for the help. The pictures and the link to the diagram will be a big help. Thanks again.

Len Haduck

HI all,

Looking for assist spring myself, $30 for a Toro????? Not me. Let me know if anyone finds one at TSC and what exactly you bought. Just picked this one up last night and threw a quick paint job on it.

thanks,

Len

pumper.atv

i made one for mine and it came undone when it snowed this year and i didn't even notice, just make sure the lift tube is in the top (correct) hole, hard to see but makes a huge difference :thumbs:

:)

ducky

I'm using a old Chevy hood spring form a 1984 c10. it is nice and light.

PPGman

GetAttachment-1.jpg

I ended up fitting the snowblower up to my 416. I purchased the 416 this summer, and the snowblower last winter with hopes to restore both before the snow started flying again. I ran out of time on the paint jobs, but managed to get the blower fitted to the 416. The blower came without the tube, or the lift flag, but some folks on here got me headed in the right direction with the information needed to build both the tube and the flag. As for the springs, i cut a garage door spring in half, and used 2 of them together to take the weight off the manual lift. I have to say, it works really well ( i might have got it too light now, but we'll see). I had this blower hooked to my C-120 last winter, and it worked great. I'm hoping to get a bit more performance out of it hooked to the 16hp this yr.

The only issue i have with it is it sometimes leaves markes on my sidewalk. Hopefully i can get it dialed in good this winter and leave my snow shovel in the garage for the most part. :ychain:

spark949

I have a spring from the hardware store on mine. It's a good inch wide by 8 inches long but the blower is still pretty heavy. I guess I have to get some bigger springs. What size is the stock spring? Who has pics of their custom spring set up?

Shuboxlover

$30 for a Toro?????

I seem to remember paying more than that for mine a couple years ago.... :ychain:

But who knows....I could be totally wrong.

PPGman

I'm not postive on the exact size of the stock spring. I'm thinking around 8inches or so. I'm sure other more knowlegable experts here have that information. I ended up making my own lift tube and flag assembly since the blower i purchased didn't come with either, so i'm sure my set up is far from OEM, but i can tell you it works well! This is what i came up with.

spring1.jpg

I ended up using a garage door spring that i had laying around the shop. Wasn't sure if it would work, but in the end it was almost perfect for what i was trying to do. The spring is around 1inch wide. Length will depend on the length of the eyebolt you use. My eyebolt is probably too big( its what i had laying around) , but it gave me lots of adjustment to tension up the springs. A torch and a cutting wheel makes fabrication of the springs much easier. The heat makes putting the correct hook on the spring a snap. Once i got the first spring fitted up nice, i just copied it and made another. My setup uses 2 springs (its hard to see the second one in the pic). Its tight, but it seems to work well. I estimate the weight at the manual lever to be around 15-20lbs with my setup.

spring1.jpg

This is the spring i ended using. I believe these were purchased at Lowes years ago when i was replacing springs on my garage door. I couldn't tell you what i paid for them, but i can't imagine they're very expensive.

spring3.jpg

MikesRJ

Using the following thread and the information provided therein, I went on a search for a suitable replacement for the original Lift Assist Spring: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15958

I just bought a McMaster-Car Spring for ~$8 which meets the specs of the original fairly closely. I'll let you know how it works out this weekend when I install it, and if the part is a good match for the original.

HankB

I saw this the last time I was at American Science and Surplus. It fairly shouted at me "I can lift a two stage snowblower!"

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_sour...x=0&btnHand.y=0

But I have no snowblower and if I did, the tractor I'd put it on has a hydraulic lift. At $3.75 It's worth a shot. It's a little bigger than the spring described in this thread: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...topic=13977&hl=

-hank