Sign in to follow this  
JMW

fuel tank flush ?

JMW

Does anyone know of a good , fast working product for flushing plastic tanks.The one on my c125 is terrible.The last one i did on my old c175 i used clorox and nut and bolts.It took forever .I am currently using a 1/2 gal. tank on it now but i wanna get the original tank in before snow flies.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks, Jim.

300zx

JMW, I had a 520 plastic tank that had set for 10 to 15 years and had built up 1/4 inch of varnish in the bottom. It was like molasses. I soaked it with straight "Super Clean Degreaser." I got in the auto area of Walmart and it is in a purple container. It is the same concentrate I use to degrease parts before painting. I would soak it for 24 hours and then rinsed it with hot water. After doing this three times, the tank was clean.

JMW

Thank you....three times or five times is better than the month it took me with the 175.

rjr

I am a little surprised that the Ethanol in our gas didn't clean your tanks. I have not had a problem with my C-101 (yet) but Ethanol played havoc with an old boat I had. Has anyone had problems with plastic tanks, seals, or lines dissolving?

JMW

Sorry I should clarify that this tractor sat for about a year without running.The only problem with the ethanol is that it eats away at your carbs internals unless you use an addative. :thumbs:

rjr

I respectfully disagree that dissolving plastic is the only problem. It also dissolves the crud on the bottom of the tank and clogs up the carb. So far it been aggravating rather than costly but a friend had an outboard blow up (slight exaggeration) because the dissolved pieces shut off the oil supply (2 stroke)

JMW

You are right about the buildup in the tank going through the fuel system.I've been a mechanic for 20 + yrs and i see more plugged fuel filters and injectors than i care to think about.