Sign in to follow this  
.5racer

onan fuel pump

.5racer

Changed to electrie years back and now I need to go back to vacume style. Got one from Napa and didnt work . Had all the fuel lines and filters all brand shiny new and would not pump. Took it back and got anoyher ,,,,,nothing !! Is there a certian one I need, to get fuel to pump to my carb on an Onan motor ? BF style motor and am verry frustradeed. sorry if some words arn't spelled right , I'm more a wrench,welder guy , not a spell,teacher type ( grease in finger nails ya know) Thanks ,,,Terry

sorekiwi

Hey Terry, long time no hear!!

I have successfully used one of these pumps on a P220 Onan:

hon_16700-zl8-003.jpg

Its a Honda Pulse pump and from memory they are about $25.

What I havent yet figured out is how to make the installation tidy!! All the tubes are pointing in the wrong directions. But the $50 odd price difference is enough to make me persevere.

I'll try and hunt up a part #.

EDIT: Found one here: http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/7-08024

There's a bunch of Briggs and Kohler part #s on that page. My local Honda small engine shop had one on the shelf.

wh79d160

Terry, Just an idea, :wh: but did you bench test any of the fuel pumps direct to a battery before you installed them? Maybe you have a wiring issue, bad ground or power wire. Maybe nothing is wrong with your old one. Possably your power wire is shorting out & smoking the pumps :thumbs: If you remember, I worked @ NAPA for 13 long years. There were two different PSI pumps, low pressure & standard (like for my old 78 toyota pickup) Good luck :)

.5racer

After three eletrics that build too much presure ,going back to vacume style. Gas will gravity flow out the discharge of pump, but once engine is cranked over nothing comes out . Not hooked up backwards either , not assembled backwards , just wont pump. Vacume from engine sucks at pulse realy good. Neer have been this stumped before !!!!

.5racer

Think my filter is too small and shouldn't be before the pump .

300zx

Just a wild guess, but could the inlet side of the needle valve be clogged? Have you tried the pump unhooked from the carb to see if it is pumping?

.5racer

completely un hooked and zilch , nada, nothing.

.5racer

Tom what is the guy north of me on Rochester, would he have a onan style pump ??

wh79d160

His name is Gary Newton. I don't have his #. I think it may be under Gerald Newton. He's @ about 42nd & Rodchecter on the west side , if you didn't know.

.5racer

Update::: Pull filter out and hooked straight to tank <<>>

wh79d160

Hey Terry, stopped by Gary Newtons today & saw a D-160 . He said he had to fix a fuel pump issue. Did he get you fixed up?

.5racer

Yes he did !!!! Great guy. He put a larger pump in and now it runs great..

Outside right now stompin its feet ready and rarin to go ..!!!!! lol