Sign in to follow this  
jwilbt

Thinking about a 1054

jwilbt

Good morning all. I'm looking for some opinions on the 1054 model. I ran across one this week by accident, and since I've been thinking about a project, was giving this tractor some consideration. The tractor is complete and seems to be in relatively good mechanical condition. Someone relocated a full size battery to the rear of the tractor for no apparent good reason, but the modifications didn't affect much other than a couple small holes in the fenders. Everything needs paint. The original Kohler 10hp seems to run pretty well. It smokes a little on start-up but there is also something smoking from that oil/air filter; I don't think that's a big deal. The obvious needs if I restore it will be seat, decals, steering wheel, a few other minor pieces. The hyd lift mechanisms work great and I've never heard a mower deck so quiet! The AG tires were replaced with turf tires that need replacing anyway so that's not a huge deal. It looks like an original seat and steering wheel might be somewhat problematic but otherwise it seems like I can find parts. I'm just wondering if there is anything in particular I should know about this model that I don't? I'm less concerned about the $400 asking price, which doesn't seem far off for a good running, whole tractor, than I am running into other unknowns. The tires will be one of the most significant costs. Any thoughts/opinions would be very welcome.

Oh, one other thing; under the seat, and running from one side to the other is a round hole. It's factory made, has a welded rim and is close to 3" in diameter. I looked at all the dwgs I can find on all our parts look-up pages but I can't see this area. Does anyone know what that is for. I can't see through it because someone placed round pegs of wood in each end. They are a loose fit but can't pull completely out with the tire in the way. Does anyone know why that is there and what the wood might possible be doing?

Apologies for the long post! Thanks! - Dennis

Sparky

Maybe the wood pegs are for keeping out critters like mice :thumbs: .

Just a thought as I'm dealing with a mouse problem right now.

Mike...........

Lane Ranger

Here is a link to the 116 photos of 4 running 1054's that we have in our stable.

I believe the three inch metal tube thru the frame of the 1054 was just for the welding of the "unibody" frame that is unlike any other Wheel Horse tractor sheet metal and fram (accept the 953).

I don't think you can go wrong for $400 if the transmission and motor are operable.

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/L...20Horse%201054/

100_5298.jpg

102_6057-1.jpg

You can just see the lower end of the three inch tube on this photo with the Wheel Horse WW-93 wheel weights that were made to go on the 953, 1054 and GT-14 15 inch rear wheels.

It is in the upper left of the photo.

100_6134.jpg

:thumbs:

\

jwilbt

Sparky and LR, Thanks very much! I appreciate the input and the pics. I'm not sure the pegs are for keeping mice out but that's better than any other explanation I can come up with!

ol550

Hey, it could be where he hid his mad money! :thumbs: Pull the wheel and peg and see what's inside. :) Or it colud be to keep the wasp nests out. Mike

OnlyRedInMyShed

Seems to be priced right. My dad restored a 1054 for show and I currently mow with a 1054. Fun, hard working tractors. The cadillac of 1964!

stevebo

Dennis,

I do not know much about that model however from what posts I have seen from the members here the front lights are very difficult to find and usually missing the lenses. Good luck-

jwilbt

Thanks Steve, The tractor is, in fact, missing one of those lights and I noticed they were quite unique. I just haven't decided about this one. I think it is probably priced about right but I don't think it's a steal and in the end, there other models that I like the aesthetics of a bit better. I don't think it's going anywhere right away so I'll keep thinking about it.