Sign in to follow this  
Brandonsj04

Wheel Horse Eulogy

Brandonsj04

This morning I had a guy come out, a retiree, who just bought his first wheelhorse; a c161, and was interested in the extra single stage snowblower that I had for his new ride. Got to talking, and he was complementing me on my 520h, and then wanted to see all my attachments. My plow (in fair condition), my two snowblowers (tall and short chute both in good condition), and my 2 decks(RD in fair shape, SD in good condition). Out of the blue this question came, "what will you take for the whole lot". My heart skipped a beat, my stomach started to churn, and on the verge of vomiting, the negoitation's commenced. After a whirlwind of number flew about the air, an agreement was made. A handshake sealed the deal and the agreed upon price of $1500. When went our seperate ways with the understanding that he will be back next week to pick up the stuff and exchange the funds. Now I sit here with the feeling that someone might experience with losing a beloved family member or when you put the family's dog to sleep. Thoughts ponder my head about calling him back and telling him the deal's off or praying that the deal falls through. Then dad's voice enter's my head with his word's of wisdom; "a man's word is his honor" "say what you mean, mean what you say" " a man is nothing without his integrity". Leaving only the false hope that the deal falls through. So long to the dream's of snowblowing everyone out of their driveway's when the worst blizzard in history of Michigan hits, and no other machine can handle that much snow. I don't know if I'm maybe being overdramatic, as the wife say's its only a tractor, but I believe this is what we all are here for. This is in essence what a true wheel horse enthusiast/fanatic/or whatever term you prefer, is.

What is a 24 year old man to do; a B.B.A. in management and finance, yet the only work in this area due to the recession is to take an $8.50/hr job as an assembly laborer, fighting to keep up with car payments, student loans, and the cost to live.

So it is with me that I say goodbye to my beloved Wheel Horse 520H. One day we WILL meet again

One may ask what would you do on the weekends? My answer is I don't know, but I do know what I'm going to do this weekend. Give her hell. :thumbs:

P.S. I hope I don't suffer PTSD from this.

mattd860

Don't feel too bad Brandon. You do what you must to survive and protect your family. These tractors will be around for a long time, and so will the attachments. That's why after 30-40 years we're all still USING them, not letting them sit around as show pieces.

Besides, these machines are pure assets and will not depreciate as fast as the US dollar is (or will if we experience the hyper-inflation that economists are predicting). I plan on using my collection as you have if I need to one day. It's like putting money in the bank.

mavfreak

I understand how that is. I had to give up my 2001 F250. The day it left I sat in the garage and cried. I felt lost. It was a good thing one less payment a wife and three kids one being a baby it had to go. I now have an 96 f150 with an extended cab and its growing on me. no truck payment. Hang in there things don't last forever and someday things will be better

:thumbs:

racinfool40

I've read this post 3-4 times and I feel you pain Don,t know if I could do it!!!!!! :thumbs: Got me thinking what I would do???For 1 thing I would be looking for Another :wh: Just to tinker with!!! :)

SAM58

If we have them for the right reason, to use and preserve, it a hard thing to do.

I had one 1972 Raider 12 that I had used for 14 yrs. My brother bought it new when I was about 14 yrs old. So it was like a family member.

he used it for about 20 yrs. and did not fix much it had a wiring problem and he let it set out for about 4 yrs.

I got it and restored it, used it for 14 yrs. and redone it this summer.

When he seen it he wanted it back, so I let him have it because I had bought two more this summer.... Even that was tough, since then I have found a C141 Automatic and I still miss the Raider 12.

When you get back on your feet, I am sure you can replace it with a better one.

I have a 1998 314-8 you can have for what I paid for it when the time comes.

Hang in there.... :thumbs:

:)

wheel horse 1045

alot of us has had to do the same thing and im no stranger,ive had to give up alot but at the end of the day i still have my family and everything else is replaceable,hang in there

JimD

I refurbished a nice little 753 that I really liked. Times got tough, o i sold it. I too felt a sense of loss afterwords, but it went to a good home so i felt good about that. Tractors may come and go, but some you just get attached to. :thumbs:

jtmoyer

i sold a 520 with a kwik way loader when i was out of work. since then i have replaced it with a d160 and a 550 ark loader. i did sell the 520 for more then i had in it to :thumbs: . you will have fun with the gt1800 just get it running with the 1500 and buy a 2 stage blower.

adgecutler

Your father was quite right, your word should mean a lot to you and others. I foolishly one drunken night when asked if I knew of any M type Petter stationary engines (another pastime) said yes, I also said if it was looked after It could be had for free. Anyway I lived up to my word and gave it away on the condition that if the recipient were to part with it I had first refusal. I have not heard from him since but hope he also is a man of his word. Jamie.

Kelly

I have a few I would have a hard time parting with, but you can always get another they are just things, not family, by the way I have a few to sell if your looking for a cheap one to tinker with, and I'm not that far from you.

Ken B

I have also have had to let some pretty darn nice things go for the same reasons. I have often heard guys say, oh I'll never sell this, I'm too attached or it means so much to me, or its to rare to sell. It must be nice.

I'm attached to my family. Tractors, cars, boats, antique outboards or any other collectable object, not so much.

I can see where getting rid of something in hard times that was handed down from a loved one being difficult to do. Thankfully I haven't had to go there. That said, if I'm ever left with no other option and I had to sell something my Dad gave me, knowing my old man he would be proud that I chose my family first over an object. You did the right thing by putting your family's needs first, your Dad would be damn proud.

wheel horse man

i have a commando 8 with a bunch of attachments i had a guy at a show offer me 1800.00$ for it and all the attachments i turned him down i dont care if you offer me a million i would not sale it i fill for ya bud i had a old suzki two stroke 75 i was offerd a wheel horse in trade of it and i turned it down then the same offer came up a year later and it was gone and i had my first wheel horse!!! and i would if i had not traded it i would not be here today but i do still miss my dirt bike.

stevasaurus

Unlike what Kelly says...his may not be family...but mine are...my dad owned them and used them and made them his...I would be hard pressed to get rid of them and for the couple of hundred bucks...I have other things to get rid of if I have to. My horses are family...Kelly''s...well they are just things. :thumbs:

Ken B

i have a commando 8 with a bunch of attachments i had a guy at a show offer me 1800.00$ for it and all the attachments i turned him down i dont care if you offer me a million i would not sale it i fill for ya bud i had a old suzki two stroke 75 i was offerd a wheel horse in trade of it and i turned it down then the same offer came up a year later and it was gone and i had my first wheel horse!!! and i would if i had not traded it i would not be here today but i do still miss my dirt bike.

For a million bucks I'll sell ALL my Horse's. Shoot, I'll even deliver them anywhere in the country for free! I'd be able too send my kids to a damn good college for that kinda loot. No cashiers or bank checks though, cash money on the barrel head. :thumbs:

boovuc

Hey Brandon,

When the economy recovers, you'll have a good job again. (That's why you had the where-with-all to get a college degree).

Remember......Sometimes the hunt for an object or an objective is better than realizing you have obtained your goal.

This is why many of our members here constantly swap or flop machines. It's also why I'm still poor. I love trying to get rich! :thumbs: Not actually being rich!

:)

Best of luck to you!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

wheelhorse656

i know the feeling. my grandpa owned 2 allis tractors a 1939 b and a 1950 wd. i was hart broken the day he sold them. but i was glad to see them go to a father and son who really enjoyed them as much as we did. :thumbs:

bmuone

You know ....you can't take it with you.....but what you did and the reason you did it just might go with you. Well don!

whfan74

Hang in there........you definitely have your priorities straight. It is funny how we get so attached to these things. They are just items and as many have said before can be replaced. You did the right thing and will be rewarded for making the right choice. It may not be in the form of a Wheel Horse but your sacrifice now will worth it in the long run!

ducky

it tough before it gets easy. i go by a saying a old guy told me a couple of years back. what dosent kill u makes u stronger. hang in there ull pull threw.

i have a cheep project if your interested? shoot me a pm ill give u the details :thumbs:

Suburban 550

Brandon, a very tough decision you had to make. I was almost forced with the same decision after losing my job of 35 years back in August, collecting unemployment for about 5 weeks, taking on a new job which I simply hated, quitting that job and losing any income at all that I had coming in. I was very fortunate to find a terrific job in another body shop where the new boss treats me royally with great pay and benefits. So hang in there, they are better days comin'. I would really hate to have to part with my cherished horses, but you have to do what you have to do to survive. :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Bummer

But think of it this way, unlike a lot of things you were able to cash it back in and help your family. Wheel Horse are like gold that way!

It has been a rough stretch and no matter who is in congress it will take year for things to get "back to normal". I have been out of work since June. I finally had an interview for a job that would be decent for me. And if I do get an offer I think I can leaverage it into two offers by contacting someone that has been foot dragging.

Even then, I'll probably end up working second or third shift for years which I won't enjoy.

Best of luck to us all. :thumbs:

JMW

I was in the same spot you are in about 2 yrs ago.I sold my c175 auto,gt14 and my sons half restored raider 10.The wife was out on disability and bills had to be paid.You do what you gotta do.Things got better and now we are building my old raider into a puller for my son.Keep your head up....things will turn around for you.