Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

small leak in metal tank....can i just seal it?

hoppy

well it appears i have a small pin hole leak on the bottom of the metal tank in my 856. what is the best action for repair? weld? seal the inside of the tank? jb weld the hole if i can find it? what has worked for you guys? this is not a rust hole.........not sure how it got there but its there.

Kelly

If it's not rust, find the hole or holes, and solder it shut, or take it someplace that can, radiator shops are a good place for that, but they are getting hard to find now days.

And I've never had good luck with JB weld and gas.

Ken B

I agree with Kelly 100% Stay away from the JB weld and silicone type repairs. Solder it once and you'll never have to worry about it again.

wheelhorse656

use seal all gas and oil and add 2 to 3 good coats of it. i did that to the gas tank on my cub cadet 3 years ago still holding strong!

mavfreak

the tank sealant would be good after it is repaired. Used it on motorcycles with no problems

JUSS10

just a word of caution if you go with a tank sealer, if its not done just right, it will flake sooner or later and that makes a worse mess than the hole you had to begin with. I've been working on cycles for a few years and have had to clean tanks that people put liners in that did a poor job. not fun

wheelhorse656

seal all is a thick past that you just applie to the bad area just pit it about 1/4 of an inch past the hole.

mavfreak

justins right on the sealer. The frist one I did last about a month but I have one now thats close to ten years old and no problems. I fuel fliter is a MUST after you do a sealer

Old Dave

I agree with Kelly. I've patched mine twice since 1978 with some thin brass shim stock and then soldered it with a propane torch.

adgecutler

Previous experience has taught me if motorcyle tank sealer is to be used you must thoroughly clean the inside of the tank. The best thing I found to do this was to strap the tank to the outside of a concrete mixer and 1/2 fill the tank with tacks and run the mixer for as long as your neighbours can bear it. Obviously you have to rinse out all the debris after but it works. It was the best way of cleaning the inside of a tank that I could come up with!

mr.pipes

I don't drive a cement truck but have another method for cleaning the inside. Put some screws, nuts and bolts inside tank. Fold a pillow over the tank and tape or tie it secure and toss in the clothes dryer. Neighbors wont complain, but people in the house may.

Coadster32

I don't drive a cement truck but have another method for cleaning the inside. Put some screws, nuts and bolts inside tank. Fold a pillow over the tank and tape or tie it secure and toss in the clothes dryer. Neighbors wont complain, but people in the house may.

Neat idea. :thumbs:

pfrederi

I made a wooden bracket that bolted to the hub of my lawn Ranger and bolted the small gas tank to it. Jacked up the rear end put her in 1st an let it run for a while with some bolts and stones in the tank. Then put it in reverse for awhile. People driving by must of seen it in the driveway and thought I was nuts but it worked...

300zx

I made a wooden bracket that bolted to the hub of my lawn Ranger and bolted the small gas tank to it. Jacked up the rear end put her in 1st an let it run for a while with some bolts and stones in the tank. Then put it in reverse for awhile. People driving by must of seen it in the driveway and thought I was nuts but it worked...

That is hilarious! I have never heard so many creative ways to rotate a tank. It is exactly what I would do, if I had thought of it.

Kelly

I've heard of people bunge cording them to the rear wheel while mowing, with stuff in them.

WheelHorse_of_course

use seal all gas and oil and add 2 to 3 good coats of it. i did that to the gas tank on my cub cadet 3 years ago still holding strong!

Yes, the product "seal all" will do the job, though solder would be better. Seal All is a semi miracle product and can be used without emptying the tank!

hoppy

when you guys say "soilder" are we talking the snap-on sanildering gun i have and use daily for doing wire......or are we talkng a torch and using sticks of soilder?

i guess im alittle confused at the aproach of soildering a gas tank.

1st things 1st i have to find the leak. i dont see any holes but i know its leaking. it was wet under the tank when i took it out and i have a slight drissle of gas on the right hand side coming down towards the belt cover. suppose a quick air test and some soapy water will show the spot.

slufoot733

Hoppy, I sealed my oil pan on my truck with JB Weld and it worked great. You can do the same with your gas tank. Remove the tank and drain completely. Use a wire wheel to clean the metal at the leak spot. Clean it thoroughly. Next, if the leak is on a smooth piece of sheet metal, use a ball peen hammer to make a very small dimple at the leak hole. If it's at the seam of corner, skip this step. Now, mix up a small amount JB Weld and spread it over the leak. If you dimpled the tank fill the dimple. Allow it to cure. Now, do it again....mix up a little JB and spread it over the first, a little bigger this time. You can do this a third time if you feel it necessary. When your all done, prime and paint the area. Paint the whole tank if you like. This should hold up for a long, long time.

Good luck,

KT