Sign in to follow this  
nitro

1981 C-125 automatic

nitro

Hello,

I am a newbie on this forum. I have acquired a 1981 C-125 automatic with a mower deck and 99% of all original parts. It has been sitting awhile. I have a few questions 1. Is it worthwhile to repair the hydrostatic unit (the previous owner let it sit because it quit moving) or install an 8 speed from a similar tractor? 2. The fender is cracked to pieces and I was wondering if it can be repaired or should it be replaced? It did come with all the pieces that were broken off. And what is the fender made of? :thumbs:

dryrun

NITRO, first, :)

My opinion would be to try to determine cause of no-drive condition, tow valve open, linkage, low oil, engine drive sheared etc. I know very little about this tractor, so wait for others who can help you. I just mainly wanted to say WELCOME

REGARDS GEORGE :thumbs:

mavfreak

:thumbs: I would look into fixing the hydro befor you give up on it. The fender is probly unfixable by what you discribed a metal one is the only poption for repaicement unless your lucky enough to fine a good one or are good at body work. Good luck.

Also :)

Duff

Ni, Nitro! :)

I don't know anything about hydros so I'll defer to our members with experience for any recommendations there. The rear fender, as I understand it can be replaced with a metal one from most C-, 300-, 400- and 500-series machines. These are quite plentiful on the used market! Post something in our "Classifieds" section. The general concensus I've heard is the plastic ones are not worth repairing unless you are trying to do a full restore (as opposed to rebuild).

Duff :thumbs:

Sparky

First thing..... :thumbs: !

Like Duff said, any fender pan off a "C"-300-400-500 series tractor will work as a replacement but I think the 300-400-500 style fenders look the best on the Black Hood tractors like yours.

I would try to see what the problem is with the tranny before scrapping it as an 8 speed swap would involve much more than just swapping the tranny as you would also need a brake pedal and all its associated hardware and all the parts nessasary to convert your tractor to manual lift. I think your drive belt guard would also need to be changed. If you did go with an 8 speed swap it would be best to find an 8 speed tractor like yours with a bad motor or no motor so that you would not have to search for all the other parts you need to complete the swap.

Mike.........

buckeye

i agree with Sparky, swapping motors is alot easier that swapping trannies. i know this "first hand" It took me and my dad a full day to make the swap from 8-speed to hydro. And if it's been sitting for a while, everything you try to take apart will be frozen together. not to mention the search for a different drive pully.

nitro

Wow

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Thank you all for the advice. I will keep my eyes open for a fender. When I start on the C-125 trans/hydro is at the top of the list to get working. My C-125 is my second project. My first and favorite is a RJ-58. I am the third generation owner and money is going to be tight. I also Drag Race other brands of tractors so time is going to tight as well. :thumbs:

P.S. I will be adding pics to the forum.