Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Progress with my Raider

Horse'n Around

Heres some pics of my Raider, I have made a lot of progress with it.I had a good HH120 so I installed it in place of the HH100, and it runs like a top. All I have to do is barely hit the starter and it lights right up immedietly. The engine sounds so much better with the correct exhaust system on it rather than the screw in cannister muffler that came on the engine.The rewiring is done and after a really close call on my part by installing the wrong ign switch, I replaced it with the right one and all works as it should even the cigarette lighter :) My friend upholstered the seat, I had to make a new metal pan for the backrest, the origional was missing but I was lucky enough to still have both pieces of foam for it. I have the headlight lens in the house for safe keeping so it doesnt get broken while Im working on everything.Mechanically its pretty much all done with the exception of the trans which Im replacing. I cant wait to drive this it. I just want to thank you all for your advise which has made it possible for me to get this far so easily. :thumbs:

John

Picture056.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture015.jpg

racinfool40

:) Lookin good Az Lovin the air cleaner!!! :thumbs: Keep us posted!!!

chris11

John whats that green tractor in the first picture?

Horse'n Around

Yup Mike, that aircleaner is exactly what I needed, looks familiar huh :thumbs: Chris, the green tractor is a Porter Cable that I picked up.It was at a friends outdoor power shop then he got word that the owner had passed away about a year earlier. Well it turns out the owner was my wifes Uncle Charles, I didnt know who the owner was untill I was at Aunt Martha (Charles' wife) she had heard I like old tractors so she sold it to me cheap. Thats where I got the HH120 :) Dwayne aka DMK855 has a Porter Cable tractor and its lonely so I gave it to him so he could fix it up. It even has a mower deck on it.

John

DMK855

Dwayne aka DMK855 has a Porter Cable tractor and its lonely so I gave it to him so he could fix it up. It even has a mower deck on it.

John

Thanks again John!! We just need to get you East now so I can get it!! :)

The Raider is looking great! Nice job on everything!!! :thumbs:

dclarke

Lookin good John, nice job on the seat. :thumbs:

massey

Looking good.

Irv

Looks like it's coming together nicely. Your friend did a great job on the seat, is he (or she) a professional upolsterer?

Horse'n Around

Thank you for the complements on the seat, Ill pass them on to my friend Tony. Yes he does it for a living, hes a great guy He was born in Mexico and hes done upholstery most of his life, Ive told him many times that I dont think that he charges nearly enough. he works out of his home.We work a lot of trades. He has put new canvas on a couple of surplus military WW2 cots for me that I use when Im reenacting ( its Civil War reenacting but I hide it in my tent , I couldnt sleep on the cold gground anymore, it woould kill me :) ) Recently he had a old crusty Sears riding mower that didnt run so I fixed it for him and then a week or so later I got the Raider, when he saw the the condition of the seat (it honestly looked like someone had teeth in their bum) :thumbs: and said, bring the seat over Ill fix it up for you, He really did a wonderfull job.

John

whfan74

That is what it is all about........sounds like you have made a good friend and are willing to help each other out when at all possible. Tractor is looking really good and tell Tony there is a small market out there for his seats! :thumbs:

Coadster32

Way to go! Looks good. Glad to hear it fires right up for you. :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

Way to go! Looks good. Glad to hear it fires right up for you. :thumbs:

Im happy with how it runs too, but part of me remembers everything Ive been hearing about Teckys being problem engines and all so Im kind of worried and I find waiting kind of waiting for something bad to happen. I have only one pbservation, it seens like the elect starters dont like it when they are wet such as after degreasing the engine or just washing the tractor.Both times I rinsed off the engine with degreaser, the starter would spin fine but the bendix not fully engage the flywheel and then it wouldnt spring back. I swapped to another starter and when wet it did the same thing .After they both dried out completely they both work perfectly again . Is this a common problem or is it just another situation when its something freaky that could only happen to me :)

John

Suburban 550

Nice job on the Raider, John. :) Glad to see it up and runnin'. :thumbs:

racinfool40

John I had thee same problem with my starter: so I pulled the shroud of that covers the fly wheel a checked the clearance of the starter and fly wheel was kinda tight: I took and shimmed the starter out on the top with a washer an both boths on top of the starter. I placed them inbetween the starter and block on the bolts and never had that problem again might check it out MIKE.....