Sign in to follow this  
wh79d160

702 tranny

wh79d160

:) There is a drain plug on the bottom & one @ a 45 degree angle on the lft side @ the bottom but I don't think that would leave you enough fluid in the tranny if you filled it there. Maybe I'm wrong. :thumbs: in advance

Kelly

Yes, park it on level ground and pull the plug on the left, fill till it runs out and it's full.

wh79d160

:thumbs: Kelly, That just didn't seem like that would be enough fluid. I assume it takes 90 wt ?

Indy w h

80/90 gear oil is what I use

Indy

Kelly

Well, I drive the left tire on a piece of 1/2" plywood and fill mine.

TT

That just didn't seem like that would be enough fluid.

The countershaft (cluster gear assembly) and differential "ring" gear are positioned very close to the bottom of the tranz case. While in operation, they sling oil all over the internals and keep it all properly lubricated. :thumbs:

wh79d160

Thanks guys I'm draining it now. The square plug on the bottom was rounded off, but I got it out. Looks like carmel oozing out. must of had a little water in it. I jacked up the front a little & put a piece of 2x4 under the rt rear wheel. I'll let it drain until tomorrow, get a new plug & put some synthetic in it. Are the shifter boots still avaliable or do the make aftermarket? I also noticed a tooth is broken off my round steering gear on the shaft. Any ideas on that?

Kelly

You can get the boot from Toro, for under $5 your lower steering gear should be pinned on, and you will have to ask around for a replacement, not sure if they still have new.

CasualObserver

Tom, If it were mine, I'd run at least one round of kerosene or diesel in there and drive it around for a few minutes to rinse it and cut up any sludge that didn't make it out the first time. Then fill with gear oil.

stevasaurus

I fully agree with Jason on the Kerosene...maybe twice if you get a lot more stuff out...and maybe change the 90wt in the spring just to be sure. Lots of expensive bearings in that trans. :thumbs:

bud

i would the same you right alot of expensive bearings in trans