Sign in to follow this  
Actonhorse

6 speed trans full of water

Actonhorse

I have a 6 speed transmission and i just got the tractor running good and decided to check the fluid before I took it out for a run. I probably should have checked it earlier but oh well... when I pulled the fill plug on the top the water ran right out. I pulled the drain plug and got a mix of brown sludge and water. My question is what is the best way to flush the transmission before filling it with oil again? I was thinking about diesel fuel or varsol?

Any good ideas?

rmaynard

Both are good choices.

Bob

Actonhorse

Thanks, that's what I thought I just hope there isn't too much damage. I am hoping to flush it and try it out without having to take it apart.

JimD

A word of caution here, you may want to put a pan under the axles just inside the wheels. you may find that the axle seals are leaking, and it makes a mess on a garage floor that's a real bugger to clean up. Can you guess how I found that out? headslap1.gif

Actonhorse

Good idea. I'm not sure how the water got in but it must have been sitting outside for quite a while and I am guessing the snow sitting on it did it. If the water got in, the diesel will come out!

wallfish

The water gets in through the shifter hole. Make sure you pick up a new rubber shifter boot.

Actonhorse

Good point, that is why I have a nice warm spot in the garage for the tractor from now on!

Why anyone would just leave one out in the rain and snow for years is beyond me.

Actonhorse

The transmission is flushed and filled.

I decided to put a new drive belt on while I was at it (Gates 6876, 4L760K from Napa). This was the belt that was cross referenced to the WH number. with the new belt on the clutch does not disengage the belt. My question is does the clutch pedal adjustment by the brake band give the tensioner some more room or does it just adjust the angle of the clutch pedal? Could I have the wrong belt?

rmaynard

You must have the belt cover or belt guides on for the belt to disengage properly.

Bob

Actonhorse

Interesting, If I had known that last night, it would have saved me a lot of aggravation!

I'll put the cover on tonight and give her a whirl. :thumbs:

It has been a real learning experience with this tractor. It looks like my PTO clutch is finished as well, down to the rivets. I want to get a snow blower on it so I am going to have to find a "new" one.

Actonhorse

The belt cover went on and the belt still wouldn't disengage. Turns out the PO had the brake band adjusted really tight, once I adjusted that (couldn't believe the nut wasn't siezed!) the belt disengages fine and the tractor is up and running! I did have to put on a new condenser to get it to stop missing at high speed. The boys and I were out running around the yard with it. I still have a few bugs to work out but I think it is on to the snowblower now that it is running!

Thanks for the help.

stevasaurus

Dean...I'm thinking that I would change that rear end oil again in the spring, and see what comes out. :thumbs: My 2 cents. :)

Actonhorse

Good advice. The flush didn't seem to be too dirty coming out but I think after about 10 hours in the seat it will loosen up any "sludge" that is in there and it would be good to change.

I'm hoping for lots of snow for lots of seat time!