Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

520-H tranny linkage HEEELLLLPPPPP

Forest Road

Hi guys

I'm picking up my first hydro unit. THe forward reverse shifter is really really difficult to move. Whether its forward or reverse its tuff! The meter only shows 109 hours and it was only used for snow blowing w/ a single stage unit. THe whole tractor is really well kept. I think maybe the road salt may have gotta into things just enough to be a nuisance.

The shift plate under the seat is clean but dry. I get the feeling that some of the linkage in the dash tower and under the center hump cover miight need some attention. any suggestions on where to start.

And the brake. When in forward if you hit the brake pedal it takes a lot of force to disengage the drive. The F/R lever goes back to neutral but it takes a tremendous amount of force to push down on the brake. Although grease at the brake pedal would help I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks for your help

Kevin

TT

I would try loosening the friction adjustment nut a little first.

24R10012.jpg

That will rule out if the problem exists there.

50% of the brake pedal's job is to return the DCL to the neutral position. Once you get the shifter moving freely, the brake pedal should be fine. (a little grease at the pivot is also a good idea though)

Forest Road

Thanks TT. The linkage freed up from playing w/ it. It would appear that this machine sat for quite some time. There was a ton of residue in the fuel tank and lines. So I guess the linkage just got stiff.

PlowDayJunkie

I had one that was tough to move, and I sprayed penetrating lube on the shift lever and let it run down the shift in the dash. after one mowing it was completely free moving.

just my .02

Scott

:thumbs:

Forest Road

I finally got around to it. Might be a first. Obviously everything was stiff from sitting. A little lube on all the pivots and its good. But check this out. The PO replaced the battery. I guess he didn't pay any attention to the hold down rods. One of them was intermingled w/ the shift linkage. This machine just keeps getting cleaner.

TT

One of them was intermingled w/ the shift linkage.

:)

'nuf said. :thumbs:

AMC RULES

This machine just keeps getting cleaner.

Posting any picts of this "clean machine" soon? :thumbs: