Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

854 engine work

Coadster32

Haven't started a post in a while, so I thought I'd show a couple of pics of what I've been up to this summer. I finally got the 551 together as far as I wanted.

pics006.jpg

pics007.jpg

pics005.jpg

I got the motor off 61 Ariens snowblower. It has the tillison carb on it, but I left it alone as it was working well. (I did try another carb, but didn't want to go thru all the mods to make it work). I put in new points/condenser, valve job and re-gapping, re-timed it all out with a depth mic, and put on electric start. The recoil broke, but was thrilled not to have to fix it. I like the color scheme even though it's not factory. I have the kids names painted on the fenders. I got a new key, and key-chain from Glen-Jeri. (highly recommended) :) . I ended up selling off the Charger12 that I had. (I caught alot of crap from my nephew from doing so.)

Now I have the 854 apart. I didn't plan on it, but it started smoking alot more than last year. The bore checked out well, so I honed it out, and went with a new set of rings. I have most of the tins thru the e-tank and primed. The valves are out, and I would have done the valve job tonight, but left the lapping compound back at work. I hope to get that done tomorrow night.

pics001.jpg

pics004.jpg

The motor checked out really good in almost all areas of inspection. :thumbs: I think the spec sheet from Kohler is a bit off, but I guess they know better than me.

Question, or opinion on the rings. I put the three stens oil rings in at 120 deg from each other and butted the oil ring, not overlapped. The middle and top ring I plan on putting parallel with the wrist pin, but 180 deg. from each other. The piston normally wears perpendicular to the wrist pin, so I thought this might be best. Might not matter, but figure I'd see what others have done in the past.

WH nut

As long as the end gaps are staggered you will be fine

Suburban 550

Beautiful job on the 551, Chris. :) I'm sure the 854 is gonna look and run just as good as the 551 when you're finished. :thumbs:

buckrancher

:thumbs::)

hey Chris I've been looking at those atv jack stands for awhile now how do you like it

The 551 looks great I'm sure you do justice to the 854

Brian

HorseFixer

Looks GREAT Chris! Gotta get some recent projects of mine done and need to make it out in the garage someday and get back on the 701! And yep and then about 10 others waiting their turn! :) And two of them being a 551 and 854! :thumbs:

Coadster32

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm happy thus far. (althought I'm not that strong at body work).

hey Chris I've been looking at those atv jack stands for awhile now how do you like it

That's actually a motorcycle jack. It does work great for this purpose. I have a rolling adjustable height stool with it, that works out perfectly. My back thanks me for it also. Not too sure that this 854 will be as involved as yours was, but it should work well when I'm done.

squonk

:thumbs::)

The 551 looks great I'm sure you do justice to the 854

Brian

Atv jacks work good but depending on height and style of tractor, a lift table is better yet :wh::)

DSCF0708.jpg

DSCF0707.jpg