Sign in to follow this  
jasoncracer

help with paint color

jasoncracer

:help:i am getting either a c 125 or c 120 and will be restoring it i used rustoleum sunrise red on last one should of used regal red i preped it right and everything ot chips to easy what color primer should i use? :) and reccomendations for paint :thumbs:

JimD

Jason, this is a link to the pinned thread on the paint and decals section at the top of the page.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15846

Maybe that will help you, but if you want opinions, there will be many varying ones about colors, brands names, and preparation. Best of luck and be sure to post pics in a restoration thread. I love looking at what others can do.

Jim

stevebo

Jason,

I would stay away from rusto for the topcoat. I would use rusto for the primer (usually use rusty metal rusto as it is a high build). I then allow it to dry at least 24 hours then you can use Valspar IH red either restoration series or regular. I have used both but now prefer regular (non restoration series) as it is a little darker shade of red.

If you are spraying through a gun then make sure you add about 1/3 thinner and the right amount of hardener. It is important to allow it to sit for about 30 mins once you mix it prior to spraying.

If you are going with spray bombs you can achive a good paint job but you will need to make sure it is warm and make several (7-8) very light coats and allow it to tack up before applying the next coat or it will run on you. The more coats you apply the deeper the shine. Most people make the mistake of not applying enough coats and it tends to come out red but rough. Good luck-

rmaynard

Just my 2 cents worth here.

I will never use rattle cans again to paint a tractor. My experience proved to be costly as I purchased about 15 cans of paint and 10 cans of primer. At about $4.00 per can, I spent $100.00 only to have to sand it all down and repaint with acrylic urethane. Granted, I was going for the "show queen" finish, but even if I wasn't, I found that the spray bombs do not cure as hard or as tough as a good automotive paint. Between the acrylic urethane and the epoxy primer, I spent a total of $126.00 including shipping.

Now, if you insist on using Rustoleum paint, I would use Rustoleum primer. That makes the most sense to me since you know that the two will be compatible. Since it is going to chip and scratch easily, I would use the red primer. If red primer is not available, use the darkest gray you can find. Dark gray is easier to cover with red than light gray.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.

Bob

stevebo

Bob,

What it your source for the paint you use? Sounds pretty cheap considering the kind of paint and primer. Did it include the thinners and hardeners?

rmaynard

Bob,

What it your source for the paint you use? Sounds pretty cheap considering the kind of paint and primer. Did it include the thinners and hardeners?

Steve,

The paint is Kirker Automotive, acrylic urethane, flame red. Kit comes with activator. Does not need thinner. Paint & activator was $80 plus $10 S&H. Kit is 3/4 gallon paint, 1 qt. activator. Cleans up with standard lacquer thinner.

Primer I used was American Finishes epoxy. 1 Qt. plus activator was $36 with shipping.

So my total was actually $126 for paint with shipping.

I still have enough left to do another tractor.

Bob

stevebo

Bob,

Did you order direct from Kirker or a distributor? Good info-thanks !!

B-8074

Has anyone tried the Duplicolor ready to spray you can get at most any auto parts store? It's a full line from primer to clear coat. They even have a metal flake.

rmaynard

Kirker does not sell direct, Got it from SmartShopperInc.com. They will price match if you find it cheaper elsewhere. Primer was from Pivco.com. American Finishes sold out to PPG I think, so it is no longer available, but any good epoxy primer will do.

Could not find the Kirker paint locally.

Bob

rmaynard

Has anyone tried the Duplicolor ready to spray you can get at most any auto parts store? It's a full line from primer to clear coat. They even have a metal flake.

I believe that is a lacquer. Not nearly as tough as enamels.

Bob

B-8074

They have both. They even have an equipment red. Here is what I found.

Duplicolor link

stevasaurus

I've used the Dupicolor...on cars and trucks...not really on the tractors. I did use it om the gas tank on my 857...I was going for a match more then kind of paint at the time. It is still holding up very well. I used it on my sisters Dodge Dakota last fall on the hood. The original clear coat was pealing. We wet sanded the whole hood, primed the places that needed it and then sprayed on the color (Cherry Red, if I remember). Wet sanded and another coat and then a couple coats of clear. The color was a perfect match for being red and the truck being a 1993, and is still holding up very nicely. :thumbs:

For the tractors...I like the Valspar Restoration series IH Red...red primer. I have not sprayed a whole tractor yet, but the color looks good with the color of red on my tractors. A little darker (like Stevebo mentioned) would work very well also. :)

jasoncracer

thank you all i think i am going to use restoration series ih red sound ok?

rmaynard

I know that a lot of members use the Valspar Restoration Series paint. It is an alkyd (oil based) enamel paint. It has very little resistance to ultra violet light, so over time, if your tractor is left out in the sun, it will fade and chalk.

However, if you do decide to use the stuff in quarts or gallons, be sure to use the hardener, otherwise you could be waiting days for it to dry. Also, the hardener is very hazardous to your health if breathed. Be sure to use appropriate protection.

Bob