Sign in to follow this  
multihobbyguy

704 Drive Belt Problem

multihobbyguy

Hello, I got the engine started on my 704 so I figured it was time to test out the transmission. So I put the belt on and it seemed really loose so I figured with what I had read maybe it was because I didn't have the belt guard on, so on it went. Unfortunately the belt is still so loose that it slips. So I went to NAPA and picked up a new belt (4L700W), then I put it on and I have the same problem. Am I missing a part? Am I some how routing it the wrong way? Here are some pictures. Thanks for taking a look, Chris.

704belt001.jpg

704belt002.jpg

704belt003.jpg

704belt004.jpg

JUSS10

its routed right but with the belt guard off if the clutch spring is in, that clutch pulley should pull up on the belt much more. do you have the spring in there? with my tractors if the belt isn't on the pulley will go up past the center plate

squonk

That first pic it looks like the pedal isn't back far enough to create more belt tension. Maybe something with the brake linkage is messed up/ Here's a pic of my 704 with the pedal all the way back.

DSCF0747.jpg

oldandred

Along with the belt guard off and the brake clutch petal is the spring connected on the brake petal and adjusted correct ? reasion the idler pully looks a little forward should be more to the rear ??

multihobbyguy

There is a spring under there and it seems to be broken. I can't seem to figure out what/where it hooked. Good news is when I move the broken spring it doesn't bind and the belt gets tight when I pull back on the pedal. Here are some pictures, thanks again for help.

704spring001.jpg

704spring002.jpg

JUSS10

yup the spring is broken. run to ace hardware (or comparable) and get yourself a new spring. do you have both halves of the spring? back on the transmission near where the axle comes out there should be a "gusset" cast into the housing with a hole in it. that is where the other end of the spring should be or at least where it should go. i don't recall the spring length right off hand but probably around 5 or 6 inches. there were a few to choose from at my local ace hardware.

Justin

multihobbyguy

Thanks for all the help, I will run to the ACE in the next couple of days and get a spring. Once again thanks for all the help once again, Chris.

JUSS10

if i get a chance tomorrow i will get some measurements of the one i use and also a picture

multihobbyguy

Thank you so much.

JUSS10

alright i ran out to the barn this morning and got some pictures and measurements for you. the spring is around 5/8" in diameter and the coiled section (not the loops at the end) is 5" long. i've used this spring on two on my tractors with no issues yet. below is a picture of the spring and how its routed (the spring shown is on one my round hoods that still has the original spring it was just easier to get a picture of this one)

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

stevasaurus

I believe the spring on the other side of the tractor to release the tension pulley for a mower deck is the same spring. I matched one up with that spring at TSC for my 502 and it works great.

2008_0822502wheelhorse19620012.jpg

multihobbyguy

:thumbs: Once again, THANK YOU! You guys are the best to take the time to snap pictures and measure needed items. I only hope I can do the same for you someday. Chris.

stevasaurus

It's almost like a competition to answer first. :wh: Justin and I were posting at the same time. :) The spring and the belt guard and you should be good to go. :thumbs:

JUSS10

yeah! i won haha. not the first time thats happened with me on here. always glad to help!

stevasaurus

yeah! i won haha. not the first time thats happened with me on here. always glad to help!

Justin...been there also. :thumbs::) :wh:

multihobbyguy

Well thanks to you guys the tractor is up and going. I am now working on getting everything to fit and ride it around a bit to make sure that everything works correctly. I also put a deck under it to see if I can't get that part going. I am going to run around and mow leaves for fun. I guess other than testing it out I really need to find the correct or modify the belt guard I have and then I should be close to thinking about tearing it down to spruce it up some. Is the only difference between a tucky belt guard and a kohler guard is where it connects to the engine? Once again thanks for the help getting it up and moving, Chris.

704andblower001.jpg

704andblower002.jpg

704andblower003.jpg

704andblower004.jpg

JUSS10

glad you got it up and running! as for the belt guard. i have both kohler powered and techy powered round hoods and i think the only difference is at the engine but i haven't tried to swap things around at all. let me know how the deck works with leaves. the decks on mine just seem to ride over them and do next to nothing. but i run the boxy 36" deck so maybe one that is rounded up front will create more suction? anyway, glad you got it running :thumbs: