Sign in to follow this  
wh79d160

Looking @ a 417-8

wh79d160

I'm thinking about getting a 417-8 w/electric lift. I was alway told to stay away from the 17's but was then was told the series II engines were good. This one has the series II. Anyone have any thoughts? I think it has a 42" deck. What about the rest of the tractor?? Thanks in advance. :thumbs:

btrrg1969

I dont know how to send a link but I was just asking about a 417 yesterday , look under the wheel horse tractor section , however it is not said weither they were good or bad

wh79d160

I saw it, I was just trying to get some opinions. Maybe TT can tell me more about them.

stevebo

I have a 417-8. Both years offered the series II KT17 which imo is one of the best running kohlers out there. I have owned both the 417-A (hydro) and the 417-8. I love both and you will not be disappointed in either :thumbs:

ezeastside

I have a 417-A as well. Its actually my go to tractor. Has about 1000 hrs on the meter and purrs like a kitten. Easy starting and is in my opinion alot better on fuel than my 520.

Ed

Jim_M

I was going to tell you it should be fine as long as you watch how you operate it on slopes, but then I saw you were in Kansas............. You should be happy with it.

boovuc

Tom,

I have a Series 1 in my old C-175 and it still hums along! I think the KT's got a bad rep because of what they are being compared to. Aluminum twins being compared to the older Kohler single cast-irons is not comparing apples to apples. Same goes for the P series Onans.

You could actually abuse the K series single cast iron Kohlers for awhile without immediate failures. But for example.......if you overheat an alluminum block engine............well, you know what happens. And the problem of proper lubrication between a full pressure Series II verses the splash pan Series 1 is well documented.

Bottom line is....if you take care of the KT's, they run for a long, long time.

BooVuc,

Mill Hall, PA

jtmoyer

just sold one and i will miss it. the 17's got a bad rap early on but the gen 2s are good. wheel horse only used them for 2 years because if it, then they went to the 18hp.

zieg72

just sold one and i will miss it. the 17's got a bad rap early on but the gen 2s are good. wheel horse only used them for 2 years because if it, then they went to the 18hp.

Just bought one and love it.... :thumbs: