JUSS10

GT-14 transmission issue

JUSS10

alright well i recently acquired a GT-14 tractor. this is my first hydro and i was a little hesitant but heard great things about it so i jumped at the chance when it came up. ok well i did a whole fluid change and filter change in the transmission. it worked fine before but it sat for 5 years outside and knew it was smart to change it all out. well after doing that i took it for a drive and it seems to be strong. per recommendation of another member i drove it up to an immovable object and brought the engine up to speed and slowly brought the drive lever forward. i was able to dig a decent hole so i stopped and tried to back up. couldn't get out of the hole. it always seemed week in reverse when i got it. when i would put it in reverse it would do nothing then slowly start to speed up and start to move. so i put it in reverse and with some help i pushed it out. put it back in forward and climbed over a pile of concrete in the driveway so i know forward is good. could it be a valve issue thats sticky or something? i downloaded the sunstrand manual and it has info on valve tear down just want to know what an experienced hydro person might say it could be.

also, i have the chance to buy a 72 bronco parts tractor for real cheap. would this be the same transmission that i could use it as a spare if need be?

Justin

Kelly

I'm not real knowledgeable on the hydro's but it kinda sounds like the linkage is not right, the trans sounds strong, pump good, just no reverse, maybe a sticking valve, as you said, maybe some trans conditioner??

Brrly1

Justin, you need an 1 3/16" wrench to loosen the bolt where the accelerator springs hide behind. There is one in the front and one in the rear of the trans., they are quite large hard to miss. Sending pm See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:)

JUSS10

well got 30 minutes to look at the tractor today. removed the rear fender as a whole so i could get to the transmission. knew that reverse was my problem so according to the manual that would be in the front. got the plug out and removed the piston. got a magnet and pulled out a broken spring. so i figured that was the problem. tried to get the larger spring out and couldn't get it out. it was stuck. grabbed a needle noise and came flying out. this is what i found. now i know why it didn't have reverse. not sure what could have bent it up that bad. could pushing it around without opening the tow valve? i haven't done that but who knows how it was treated before i got it. plan on picking up a parts tractor that i think has the same transmission so hopefully i can pull the parts from that.

DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

Horse Rancher

I have several parts trannys like yours plus some of the

springs and seals for the sunstrands i,m only about 20 min

from you . If you need parts or help give me a call

231 286 2685 my computer at home is down right now

I'll be around all weekend

Jim :thumbs: :)

JUSS10

thats great to hear. thanks jim. I will let you know if i need anything. not sure if I'll get to it this weekend or not. I'll probably pull the other plug and check the condition of the springs in that one.

Horse Rancher

No problem just let me know

thanks Jim :thumbs:

JUSS10

well turns out the springs for the forward motion are busted up too. Jim, do you have springs and plungers for both forward and reverse valves? so two plungers, two big springs, and two small springs?

JUSS10

i guess its called a spring seat not a plunger lol