Sign in to follow this  
slufoot733

Got one, but not the other

slufoot733

Well, I'm not a big eBayer but I found the PTO clutch assembly-bar (#103227) for my D200. At the same time I found the entire clutch assembly - complete (#101679). Both parts were from the same seller but were different eBay items. So, I bid on both.....watched the auction, and bid again when necessary. The clutch bar auction ended first and I won that one. The other auction, the one for the complete clutch assembly, ended 20 minutes later. There was another bidder so I figured I would up the antae. I entered a higher bid (cause I really wanted that clutch) and waited till near the end of the auction. I figured if I wait till near the end the other bidder might not have time to counter. Well, I guess I waited a little too long. My bid didn't transmit fast enough and I lost the clutch by a measly $1. :thumbs: Guess I'll know better next time. But I got the part I really needed and I hope whoever got the clutch really needed it. The one I have on my D200 is in fairly good shape. I just wanted the this one as a backup. It was just unbelieveable that both parts came up on eBay at the same time. Oh well, life goes on.

wh79d160

That happens to me ALL the time. I'll bid on 9 items, be the high bidder w/1 minute to go on everything & end up w/2 items and loose everything by a dollar. :thumbs: I think there is some kind of program that will auto bid for you. Then 2 days later I'll see the stuff I lost listed as "buy it now" for crazy prices.

Shuboxlover

If it's any consolation.....you may have lost the auction by "only a dollar" but if you kept bidding, I would bet that the other bidder had a higher bid in place for what they actually won the auction for. So more than likely, if you REALLY wanted to win that item, it would have cost you more than one more dollar. :thumbs:

Trouty56

Shubox is right. Ebay is like playing poker. Wait till the end and bid the highest you will pay for the item. Ebay will keep you ahead of other bidders until your limit is passed. Let the chips fall where they may!! If you win you win. But unlike poker, if you lose you don't lose anything and get to bid again. Sometimes losing the bid is just as fun!! :thumbs:

VinsRJ

I do the same..... figiure what the part is worth and then let the dice fall where they may.

Now keep in mind when you do win.... 80 to 90% of the time the part is only worth what the person bid just before you. Because lets be honest we always up our bid amounts just a little to make sure we get it. Bid to Win!

IMO I overpay everytime I win an auction :thumbs: :)

slufoot733

All true. And in my case the complete clutch was an 'extra'. The clutch bar was a 'must have' so it worked out for me in the end. It was kinda fun though.

Later,

Kevin

WH nut

I always figure what Im willing to pay for an item and I wont bid until the end. Then I put in my highest bid and wait. No sense in drive the cost up early on