Sign in to follow this  
jpmcleod

Kohler Twin Coil

jpmcleod

Can anyone tell me how to test a coil to see if it is working.

I have occasional spark at the points and the engine cranks, runs for about 3 seconds and shuts off.

The coil is the two wire and not cheap to replace.

I ran a + wire from the battery to the + side of the coil for constant power to make sure is was not the ignition switch and still the same problem.

I have replaced the points and condenser already.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

slufoot733

jpmcleod, I have just gone through the exact same thing on my D200. I have good power on both sides of the coil absolutely nothing going to the plugs. I've changed the condenser twice and still nothing. On the web I found several sites that explain how to 'check' or 'test' a coil. They talk about using a multi-meter between the primary terminals (+ & -) and reading the ohms. Another takes a reading between the secondary's, etc. The best one (and the one I tried) was this video on YouTube:

. Watch the video carefully and when you understand the procedure try it. I did and found I had no spark coming from my coil. I subsequently ordered a new coil from Kirk Engines. It should arrive in a few days (I hope).

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Brrly1

Just out of curiousity, did anyone think of using a Big Twin Shovelhead coil. Yes I said a Harley coil. ( I don't even think it has to be a Shovelhead just a Big Twin Harley should work) Nobody has ever told me that it won't work.I think you can find an aftermarket coil a whole lot cheaper than the Kohler coil. Try your local bike shop. See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:)

slufoot733

Burley, I was told a two cylinder motorcycle coil would/should work just fine. To be honest I forgot about that. I found the exact size & shape coil on the net at Kirk Engines and just ordered one. But you're right, a cycle coil sould work just fine. In fact, here's the coil for my tractor....$12 cheaper than the one I ordered! :thumbs:

KT

Wheel Horse Fan

The Kohler manual suggest you use a mutli meter to test the coil. That is how I determined mine was bad. The good one tested out just like the manual said it should.

The Kohler manual also provides info on how to test the points, timing and condensor.

Are you sure it isn't a faulty safety switch?

jpmcleod

Slufoot733.

Thanks so much for the video. My coil tested negative so it does not work. I tried it this morning. Never to old to learn.

Thanks to the other responses I am off to a friends house to pick up a Harley coil and try it. I had been told before that a Harley coil would work but I was skeptical. Now I am going to try it.

I really appreciate to responses.

Trying to get the C-175 ready for the January show in Florida.

boovuc

That's funny...........I traded my basket-case 1975 AMF Harley Sportster even up for my C-175 Twin Kohler over 20 years ago. What were the odds that both motors shared the same coil? I do know that I still have my C-175 and I'm quite sure that #%#^#& * Sportster is long long trash-heaped somewhere!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

slufoot733

jpmcleod, let us know how the Harley coil works out. Maybe I could have saved a couple bucks had I thought of it sooner. Oh well, live and learn. Good luck with your project.

Brrly1

Hello, what I was responding to was the guy with the D200. He has aK532 which is the tractor that we tired the H.D. coil and didn't have any problems with that I know of. As far as the C175 I guess that would be something to learn about. here's to wishing you luck. Let us know how your project goes.

See Ya, Bye Burly :thumbs:

:)

jpmcleod

Got a used Harley Davidson coil today from a friend who had it on a J.D 317. The coil only cost me $10.00 and included plug wires. I had to force the friend to take the money as he wanted to give it to me.

I want to think all for their imput and the test video. It helped proved that a H.D coil will work. A new Kohler coil would have cost $186.00 and much too costly.

Thde Kohler Twin lives again.

jpmcleod

Got a used Harley Davidson coil today from a friend who had it on a J.D 317. The coil only cost me $10.00 and included plug wires. I had to force the friend to take the money as he wanted to give it to me.

I want to think all for their imput and the test video. It helped proved that a H.D coil will work. A new Kohler coil would have cost $186.00 and much too costly.

Thde Kohler Twin lives again.