Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

520 question

AMC RULES

Recently I aquired my first WH, an '88 520-H. I also see a 520-HC shown here in the picture archive. Does anyone know what the difference between these two tractors is?

kpinnc

The 520-HC had a couple unique things about it. It was the touted commercial version of the 520-H. It also introduced the swept- forward front axle that allowed the use of a 60-inch mower deck. It also had 1 inch front spindles on the front wheels.

One not-so-well known feature was that the Onan engine used different piston rods. I am unsure if ALL of them had these rods, but I have a set from a 520-HC, and they are much heavier built than the standard P220 engine rods found on the 520-H.

Other than that, the 520-HC had less "creature comfort" items on it as a package. Less instrumentation and cheaper seats were the norm on the HC.

Shuboxlover

The 1989 520-HC I had, had all five gauges that my 1991 520-H has.....Really the only difference between my HC and my H was the H had a chrome dipstick tube, air breather cover, and muffler heat shield. Other than that, they were pretty much the same tractor. :thumbs:

Wheel Horse Fan

Someone had said in another post they were supposed to be a little faster for faster mowing. Maybe, I'm not sure?

Shuboxlover

Now that you mention that..... My HC was quite a bit faster than my H!!! I never put 2&2 together, but my HC absolutely FLEW compared to my H.

So any ideas what made them faster????

Hydro Pump???

Transaxle??? :thumbs: :)

AMC RULES

Humm, sounds like the HC might just be the engine of choice for the little RJ project I've got in mind? Thanks guys. :thumbs:

jtmoyer

the later years of the "h" were the same as the "hc" in speed.

zieg72

Was it a pulley change? I did notice the 416H which is a 1995 model does go faster than my 92 520H. Be interested to know what is the difference....

AMC RULES

I wonder if anyone out there owns both an H & an HC? Could compare the two pulleys and report back any differences? Might be just a simple pulley swap to pick up a little speed in the H? :thumbs:

zieg72

Was it a pulley change? I did notice the 416H which is a 1995 model does go faster than my 92 520H. Be interested to know what is the difference....

The engine pulley is the same between a '95 416H and a '92 520H, just checked.