Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Buying a 520-H What to look for

Forest Road

Hi guys

I'm going to look at a 520 H tomorrow. All I know is that the guy just did all the regular maintenance and wants it gone! Carb kit, oil and filter, spark plugs, trans filter, and I still don't get why its for sale. So what kind of hours are those Onan's rumored to be good for? Does anyone know of known problem spots on those motors?Any suggestions for testing the trans? Obviously I'll be looking for leaks in the hydro system.

If this goes through there will be a 2001 312-8 up for sale. Or my wife will KILL ME!

Any and all input is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kevin

zieg72

If an Onan is taken care of, kept clean and the oil changed they last as good is any. I have seen great running ones with 1900 hours. The problem with them is if they get packed with grass the rear cylinder heats up and nothing good happens. One other item is the fuse box, due to the locating they can corrode and cause wiring issues. Great tractors all around, the newer 92 on up all had forward swept axles and gear reduction steering which is almost like power steering it is that easy. More will chime in however IMO it is one of the nicest tractors of the Brand.

Jim_M

You'll like the hydro for mowing. One thing to keep in mind though, the 520 will use at least twice as much gas as your 312-8.

Forest Road

Thanks guys. The motor longevity is my biggest fear. I doubt this machine will see 30 hrs a year. Primary use is snow removal and road grading at the family getaway.

Forest Road

I checked out the 520H today. It is beyond clean! 109 hours on the meter No rust and the only wear on the paint was from the snow cab rubbing in a few spots. The cab is immaculate too! It has the footrests are similar to my 2001 312-8 so I'd say its a much newer machine. Single stage tall chute snowblower is in great shape too. It also has what appear to be larger than normal plastic wheel weights and 2 link chains.

Concerns - The engine wiring. Is there a plug between the motor and dash panel for the engine wiring harness? This one had all of the wires torn apart and repaired w/ bullet connectors. Very clean job. I geuss so they could easily rearrange them if they screwed up.

Drive train - No leaks at all. No scratches under the tranny or anywhere else either.

And the price is very reasonable. My wife is really going to hate me.

So again my only concern is that wiring harness. As this machine will be 200 miles away from home. I need it to move snow in the winter and a bit of road maintenance and log hauling in the summer months.

There's a part of me telling me to stick w/ my dueling 312's and wait for another twin cylinder 8 speed to come along.

Thanks again

Kevin

Duff

Kevin, at least from what you're describing you'd be foolish to let that 520 pass you by, especially if the price is really good! Wiring shouldn't be a deal-breaker - it can be repaired fairly easily. I'll bet the Molex (or is it Molinex?)connector that that model is famous for having issues with probably let go and the PO just rewired directly. If he did a clean job, it seems to match up with the rest of the condition of the tractor - well cared for.

If the mechanicals are all solid, which it sounds like they are, I'd jump on that :) ! Not my money, I grant you, but this sounds like a good deal!

JMHO.....

~Duff :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Hey Kevin, if you decide not to jump on the 520 would you please consider passing the sellers contact info on to me? I'll take it if you don't. :thumbs:

Forest Road

I had a chance to get the 520 out of the garage today. Well it barely runs. It was shooting oil into the air filter. And the hydro forward/reverse linkage was so tight I feared I might break it. This machine has 109 hours!!! Ahh the trouble w/ letting a machine sit.

I can deal w/ a carb rebuild.

But do I really want to get involved w/ tearing the machine apart to lube the hydro linkage. Even pushing down on the brake pedal took more force than normal to get it down. I'm a 250lb cyclist it shouldn't have been that hard!!!!!

So an suggestions as to the linkage? All opinions greatly appreciated.

Kevin

sorekiwi

There should be a zerk fitting on the pedal. Often the linkage on top of the transmission gets all gummed up with grass and debri. A good blast around with an airline might do it a lot of good.

BTW, Eldon has the Molex plugs for when you decide to attack the wiring: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11159