Sign in to follow this  
KB9LOR

D-160 Question

KB9LOR

Tried looking up the info on the toro site with no luck, can someone help me out here are the numbers off the tag:

01-160501-2986

Thanks for the help.

TT

It's actually 01-16OS01

ZERO ONE - 16 O (as in Onan) S (as in Sundstrand) ZERO ONE

IPL @ PartsTree

KB9LOR

It's actually 01-16OS01

ZERO ONE - 16 O (as in Onan) S (as in Sundstrand) ZERO ONE

IPL @ PartsTree

Thanks TT saw my goof, thinking the "S" was a "5"....man old age really is creeping up on me!

jtmoyer

did you get it?

KB9LOR

did you get it?

Yep! got it, would have pics up, but been so darn busy, got the 50 inch deck and a 54 inch blade for it too, the steering is a tad sloppy, but other than that good shape, hydraulics work great on the 3pt too, and rear PTO works real good, just needs a good cleaning. It is a 1980 w/Onan 16 twin.

wh79d160

Sounds like a good find. Not many 160's w/rear pto. The deck is a 48" & the blade is a 56" :thumbs:

gwest_ca

Would this 01-16OS01 2986 be considered a twin since it followed

Gerry W's 01-16OS01 2985 out of the plant?

Garry

jtmoyer

mine is a 1980 :thumbs: i will have to come by some time, in a year or two when i stop being so busy.

KB9LOR

Will get pics up thursday, been real busy.....this was a Barn find also, farmer had it in the barn, sent my brother down to pick it up and we thought it just had the deck, the farmer says, hey I got a plow for it up in my other barn... all I could say is wow!!! what luck, one thing though these D series are massive horses! lol. And yeah come on by sometime Jason, like to catch up on your herd too.

KB9LOR

Sounds like a good find. Not many 160's w/rear pto. The deck is a 48" & the blade is a 56" :thumbs:

Not many with rear PTO? did not know that. Thing about it, I passed on a D-series snowblower because a few days before I did not have a D-series!

d180man

Hi :) and i have some photos from a book on a post on here if ican find it ! :thumbs: on how to fix the steering ! good luck on it ! :) :wh:

KB9LOR

Here are the pics......enjoy!

100_1024.jpg

100_1023.jpg

100_1022.jpg

100_1021.jpg

100_1020.jpg

Would have better pics, but waiting on a carb kit for it.....cannot move it out of the barn yet. Original place of purchase was:

Heritage Lawn & Garden

117 Chestnut St.

Corydon, In.

found it about 30 or so miles from there.

wh79d160

Looks very similar to my 79. Does it have a fan under the seat?

KB9LOR

Looks very similar to my 79. Does it have a fan under the seat? I thought the fan was added by a previous owner lol.

Yes it does!! Like a school bus driver would have blowing on him in the summertime! lol When I look up the number the Toro site says it is a 1980?? But it could be wrong?

Oh and BTW the hour meter works, and it is showing 1397 hours, is that decent for that year of the D series?

wh79d160

It all depends on how they have been taken care of in their past life. But IMO anything w/that many hours, except for a diesel, is probably going to be a little tired. But I guess the main thing is you have it in your garage & not just wishing you did. Anything on it can be fixed, restored or whatever. Just get it going & go from there. Have fun with it & collect all the spare parts you can. Just don't collect any that I'm trying to get. :thumbs:

KB9LOR

It all depends on how they have been taken care of in their past life. But IMO anything w/that many hours, except for a diesel, is probably going to be a little tired. But I guess the main thing is you have it in your garage & not just wishing you did. Anything on it can be fixed, restored or whatever. Just get it going & go from there. Have fun with it & collect all the spare parts you can. Just don't collect any that I'm trying to get. :thumbs:

With what I gave for it, I could buy a couple more implements for it!

d180man

Hi nice looking tractor ! :) good luck with it ! :thumbs: :wh:

Gerry w

Would this 01-16OS01 2986 be considered a twin since it followed

Gerry W's 01-16OS01 2985 out of the plant?

Garry

That's interesting seems how mine is an 18Auto before it got it's 20hp transplant. Is this possible even?

Great looking tractor, they are beasts but I love mine. There's no other rig like it. The steering can be tightened up fairly easy, but not too tight!

Great find and have fun! They can take a lot of room to turn, be aware!

Gerry

KB9LOR

Hi nice looking tractor ! :) good luck with it ! :thumbs::wh:

Hey I guess I could change my name to d160man....lol! And thank you!

d180man

Hi nice looking tractor ! :wh: good luck with it ! :thumbs::)

Hey I guess I could change my name to d160man....lol! And thank you!

Hi can't have it ! :) but here is a link for the book on thr steering ! hope it can help ! :):)

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...t=0entry80157

KB9LOR
Hi nice looking tractor !

wh79d160

I have just done a steering upgrade for one of my D's. I took pictures, just haven't posted them yet. I got most of the parts from JD. I can give you part #'s if you need them. Don't tighten the lower cup unless you have play up & down. If you over tighten it, you just break the plastic bearing cages. Loosen the jam nut that hold the worm gear stud in place (right side I think). It's very important yhat you only turn it clock wise 1/4 turn. What happens is that stud has a blunt tapered point & it wears on two sides. When you turn it 1/4 turn you contact the sides that are not worn. If the steering is still loose in the column, you can turn it in 1/2 turn increments. This keeps contact w/the 2 none worn sides. Let me know if you need pics. :thumbs: