Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

1966 856 snow blower pictures/diagrams?

hoppy

the shoot on the blower turns harder then i think it should. does anyone have a diagram of the shoot/rollers/belt guides/etc for a snow blower on a 1966 856?

i took it apart but something just isnt right. the washers/rollers arent right or something. wondering if the rear wheels need to be spaced up on the shoot?

also the metal wheels on the bottom of the blower that are adjustable.....how well should those spin if at all? one spins if i make it and the other doesnt move at all.

are they supposed to? looks like a nylon busing i center of metal wheel and has a snug fit on shaft anyway so my guess is they are more like slides?

wallfish

The skid wheels should spin fairly easily. Soak them with some penetrating oil and they should loosen up. Same thing with the chute. I'll see if I can get some pics of mine tomorrow. Might help if you post some pics of yours too.

Dockfishin

same problem with my snow blower wheels, took them off and sanded the rust and put back on. Only took about 10 minutes and there free as can be now.

mr.pipes

There is a spacer and washer, in and under the roller. They should spin but as you noticed time and moisture are having an effect on performance. Soak them with PB Blaster, take them apart, clean with emery cloth, lithium grease then reinstall. Manual for ST-326 is available at Yahoo wheelhorse manual groups 7. Good luck, snows coming.

hoppy

thanks for the tips. seems its not the rollers them selves but how the washers are supposed to be. everything is fine until i snug the bolts/nuts up. leave them to loose and the rear two that are slotted will slide back and the shoot gets all messed up.

i have it moving the way it is set up now but man.....it would make your hand real tired if you kept having to reposition the shoot.

mr.pipes

I have been meaning to do some refurbishing to mine. Only gotten as far as PB Blasting the bolts a couple of times. Have you taken your rollers off? I am not 100% sure what they look like in person disassembled. I was thinking you could replace the spacers so they are closer to the I.D. of the roller. Also have the spacers just slightly taller so the bolt tightens them down and the roller floats around it with no slop. That is what I plan to do with mine. I will probably get it apart to find it wont work like that with my luck lately. Keep us posted

mr.pipes

One more thing I just remembered. When I got mine, the bucket, or wrapper I believe it is called had a dent/tear in the front center of the outlet hole that would cause the shoot to bind when trying to turn it to either side. Thought I would throw that out there too.

W9JAB

If I remember right the nuts that hold the rollers are nylock, and need to be backed off

for the rollers to spin.

:thumbs:

W9JAB
blow1.jpg