Sign in to follow this  
Len Haduck

Deck Spindle Problem

Len Haduck

Hello all,

Mowing last evening and deck was making a lot of noise. When I removed it, I noticed the center double pulley bolt attaching it to the spindle had snapped off flush with the top of the spindle bearing. Any suggestion?

thanks

LEn

HankB

The model or a description of the deck or perhaps pictures would be helpful. I think Wheel Horse used several styles of spindle through the years and repair details could differ.

Offhand, I'd ask if you can drill it out. I'd start soaking it in PB Blaster (or your favorite penetrant) because it's likely to be rusted in there. For that matter, start soaking all of the bolts you might need to remove to get the spindle out.

Good luck!

-hank

WH854

If it snapped of at top of spindle bearing, including the center pully, I would think it would come out the blade side with a little help.

Chas

Don1977

He's talking about a Double D spindle. They had a bolt and washer on top to hold the pulley tight. You will have to drill it out. It's best to use a left handed drill bit that may spin it out. You can get left hand drill bits at industrial supply or auto parts.

The other fix is to find another spindle shaft.