Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

For all you FEL/ Backhoe lovers...

kpinnc

Got this in an e-mail. Driver is either talented, or just plain crazy. Maybe a little of both.

Either way, heck of a manuver! :thumbs:

cid_001001c8a008d87fdd205b02a8c0you.jpg

cid_001101c8a008d87fdd205b02a8c0you.jpg

cid_001201c8a008d87fdd205b02a8c0you.jpg

cid_001301c8a008d87fdd205b02a8c0you.jpg

cid_001401c8a008d87fdd205b02a8c0you.jpg

cid_001501c8a008d87fdd205b02a8c0you.jpg

cid_001601c8a008d87fdd205b02a8c0you.jpg

I'll bet that's not in the manual...

Kevin

baerpath

Wonder if that is Joel driving :thumbs:

Nick

Wow. :thumbs: When I saw your first couple pictures I thought he was just going to show off how high it would go or something. Never even dreamed he was going up and into the car! I say try anything once but thats nuts. :thumbs:

Just took another look at the pictures. I hadnt noticed they have guides on the front bucket, middle of the tractor and on the rear stabilizers. But it still looks scary to me.

Stigian

Thats just mad!!

Hats off to the driver for being brave/mad enough to even attempt it :thumbs:

Me, i think il give trying that a miss :thumbs:

Nick

I still cant believe they do it but those are a factory built backhoe option. It is Herzog Cartopper. Even found a video from them on youtube. Factory built or not it is still scary looking. :thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4toJA5EXcM

combatmp29r

Our Maintenance of way (track repair) guys do that all the time. You can't load the hoe at the terminal with a crane and then pull the train to site. You would mow the hoe off on the first bridge. Alot of times the hoe rides on a flat car at the end of the train, and when you get to site they mount the hoppers from there. Still quite a spectacle to watch. If you look close in the first pic your see the 1" cable that they use to help get it up there attached to the front bucket. Alot of spots on our right of way just can'r be reached with a dump truck, and side dump railcars are expensive (or so I've been told). Our guys use a grapple on the rear bucket to drop new ties outr of hopper, or gons along the track the same way befor emajor repair jobs. If I think about it i'll try to get some pics of the next wrok train I catch like this.

KyBlue

Ive watched NS MOW use em, its a pretty odd site to look at em put the backhoe up on the car, and the side to side movement of the car while their workin it.. I dont think I'd want to be sittin in the thing..

combatmp29r

4star, where are you from? I'm a conductor for NS. Not that that means we are close to each other at all. We only cover 22 states worth of track LOL. And we are #3 in size in the US :thumbs:

kpinnc

Stabilizers, common practice, whatever. It's still nuts!

I wouldn't try it!

Kevin