Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

Help with 12.5HP Briggs-Carb related

hoppy

Im having a hard time trying to figure out what carb kit i need for a 12.5 HP Briggs Power built vertical shaft mower. as far as i can tell this is a briggs carb? kind find any markings on it except for the numbers 60, 1430 & 497119. This motor is in a murray rider. i know not wheel horse related but i figured someone here might be able to help. Long story short......mower sat for a long time. guy go it running and then came to me because it would only run on choke. i pulled the bowl and cleaned it good and got it to run ok with good throttle range. went out this morning and there is a puddle of gas under the mower. dripping from the carb......looks to be coming from the bowl screw on the bottom? is there supposed to be a washer on that screw also? there wasnt one and i added one and its still leaking. bowl seems dry from the body down.

well he didnt know about the leak and took the mower to use it today and came back again this time it wont run at all. said it was running on 1/2 choke again and then just quit. im sure it is carb related and as i opened his gas tank i could see why. no filter in tank and i could count atleast 10 dead flys and lots of debris. since he had no filter on the lines anywhere im not suprised he has carb issues. what do you guys think?

give it a good cleaning, get the crap out of the tank, add a filter in the line somewhere and hope for the best? what would be the reason behind the leaking screw on the bowl? i tried a rubber gasket....still leaking. steel washer and still leaking.

is it possable that there is a special washer for the bowl screw that i need?

or should i just order this guys a carb kit, bowl, etc and start fresh? what do you guys think? anyone know what kit i would need for this briggs? this is a vertical shaft engine.

tbbahner

Go get a carb kit and rebuild it. Briggs parts are fairly cheap. Look on the engine shroud for engine model number, spec number. They will need it to order the kit. Theyre either stamped or have a sticker. Older ones are generally stamped.

Make sure the float isn't leaking and full of fuel. Shake it, if leaking you will hear the fuel rattle inside. There is usually a fiber washer on the bowl screw and a gasket at the top of the bowl.

Check the bowl itself. If water has sat in it, corrosion can cause pin holes in the bow itself.

Soak it, run a small wire into all the orifices, blow it out with compressed air or carb cleaner.

If it runs bad, you should be able to fix'er up. Good luck

Tom B