Sign in to follow this  
dhuberinc

H55B Parts Information Wanted

dhuberinc

Greetings. I recently bought a beautifully restored 1960 550 Suburban. It has a H55B engine on it and the recoil starter quit working. The grip snapped right off and now the recoil seems almost seized up & will barely turn. I'm a newbie and this is my first Wheel Horse so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Doug H Omaha, NE.

sorekiwi

The rope probably just jambed everything up when in disappeared into the hole in the side of the recoil.

Is it the cast aluminum recoil like this one?

IMG_1702-2.jpg

They are servicable, sometimes I have just put the grip back on and put up with the shorter rope, but really if the rope broke once then its due for replacement.

They are a PITA to do though, you'll get to experiance the joys of rewinding the recoil spring :wh::USA: :)

dhuberinc

hello sorekiwi, Yep, jammed up rope chunks. Curiosity made me tear into it. Just got this thing back together and no kidding the spring was a real mofo. Came apart in 5 minutes, took me about 1.5hrs of fighting the spring, much cursing, and a few Band Aids to put back together. How do we post pictures in here?

sorekiwi

Came apart in 5 minutes, took me about 1.5hrs of fighting the spring, much cursing, and a few Band Aids to put back together.

OK, so things went pretty well then!! :USA:

Here is how you post pictures: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1071

:)