Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

1277 resto

rickv1957

Tractor is looking great!! :thumbs: Rick

AMC RULES

Tractor resto is gorgeous Charlie, I'm wondering though? How long can you resist restoring that new old Westinghouse? :thumbs: Mancave looks good too buddy. :)

wheelhorse656

lookin good!!!! and oh dont for get :thumbs: !!!!!!!!

Sarge

Just fyi-the hood originally had plastic bushings at the pivot rod. I like the welded bushing idea better, though. Very nice work on the fan screens, those fans aren't cheap either !

Good luck on a belt guard, that is a 1 model/1 year part . I just found one after 6yrs of searching recently, still has the engine tab intact, even.

Nice work, she's looking really nice.

Sarge

clintonnut

Thanks for the comments!

I have a pair of 3 rib front tires on the way and will sandblast the rims tomorrow. Keep in mind that the front rims and starter generator guard are the only things I sandblasted! The rest is wirewheeling, stripping and sanding.

On the belt guard,

Could I adapt one from say, a 1076, 1077, 1276? They are also long frame tractors and would the guard just need some minor modifications?

Also might have a snow cab to go along with the restored snowblower for this thing! I will be snowblowing in style!

Charlie

wheelhorse656

cant wait to see the final product charlie!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs::) :wh:

clintonnut

Dug some pictures up of the restored snowblower!

HPIM1750.jpg

IMG]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp19/desertkart340/wheel%20horse/HPIM1790.jpg

HPIM1791.jpg

Here it is on my 652 last year!

HPIM1800.jpg

HPIM1801.jpg

HPIM1804.jpg

HPIM1803.jpg

652Snowblowing3-1.jpg

Charlie

Sarge

I'll try to remember to post up a pic of the 1277's belt guard. The only ones that fit are from '67 1077/1277 models, that's it . The others are too short and are built for the very low-mounted parking brake handle.

Sarge

clintonnut

Well spent some time and got it running today!!!!! :)

This thing is a FU***** beast! I can't believe how much better 12 hp is compared to 8. I can go up hills full speed and the hydro operates smoothly as well as the hydraulics. Engine does have a slight rod knock but only under no load. I can deal with it. I spent a couple hours working on wiring and painting the hood. Right when I was going to park it again the original belt that I didn't replace for the s/g blew apart (luckily wearing jeans) but it stayed running.

I had to squirt some fuel in the carb to get it to fire but on the second try it stayed running and never missed a beat! I didn't really mess with the carb. Now I need Decals belt guard and a steering wheel! I used vice grips to steer it. I have 3 rib tires on the way so stole the tires off the 876 to drive this thing. The limited slip bevel gear differential has no slop and definately makes both tires turn. It will suck in snow with the current tires it has now. They kinda skid when you turn. I love limited slip. Better than peg-legging in snow :thumbs:

Maybe a farmall cub muffler/stack?

477a012b.jpg

6a10fda9.jpg

6a6dbd54.jpg

c32ecce0.jpg

I am really impressed with the pictures my Iphone 4 takes. I took most of the pictures with it in this thread.

Charlie

VinsRJ

Looks sweet Charlie! And your Man Cave is not to shabby either :thumbs:

MikesRJ

GREAT work Charlie! Looks real good. :thumbs: :)

massey

Nice work, you gotta love it when you start wrapping it up.

mavfreak

looks great! :thumbs:

WH854

That tractor looks GREAT :thumbs: I wish my shed was that neat :)

Chas

AMC RULES

I am really impressed with the pictures my Iphone 4 takes. I took most of the pictures with it in this thread.

For the price of that phone and the monthly data plan? It should take nice picts, huh? :) Congrats on the tractor Chas, turned out real nice so far. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see it in new vinyl too. :thumbs:

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs: :):wh: Very nice project it is a labor of love as I call it. I am doing over a 1057 my self. I have a used cover for the belt guard I could send u if needed. this is what it looks like now. Gary B.................101_0038.jpg

Duff

Charlie, looking great! :thumbs:

As to the restored snowblower, if a couple of those photos were taken where I think they were, your Mom got you a "man cave" to protect her house!!!! :)

I can sort of relate to that....my Dad and I tore apart a walk-behind snowblower in my Mom's kitchen many years ago and used the kitchen table as a work bench. :)

Duff :wh:

Sarge

Ok, got some pics of the belt guard as well as measurements. It's a bit complicated as the ends are squared off the top edge, not the bottom as one would think .

11252010295.jpg

11252010294.jpg

Overall length- 27 1/8" along the top edge from engine tab to fan end.

28" in length along the bottom edge

11252010291.jpg

10-9/16" at the rear, top to bottom , 7-1/2" at the front , top to bottom including the engine tab (5-3/8" without engine tab)

Tab shape dimensions are 5" long along the bottom edge, 1-5/8" long at the top of the tab, 2-1/16" tall from the bend along the top of the guard's length.

Hole location for 7/16" bolt (slotted hole) is 1-9/16" on center from bend at guard's top rail x 1/2" on center from end of tab.

11252010293.jpg

This next pic is sort of upside down, but the engine tab is the top-

Orientation of the 3/4"x3/4" belt guide (bent sheetmetal angle) -

6" down from top at the fan end, 4" down from top at the engine end and held back 1/2" from end to clear engine drive pulley .

11252010289.jpg

The top lip is a bit odd, 7/8" wide over most of it but the rear section is 1-3/4" wide with a missing notch at the rear to leave space for the parking brake lever.

11252010291.jpg

The engine tab itself is a separate part, if you look close the top lip was bent first and part of it was cut off - the engine tab piece is then spot-welded in place-

11252010293.jpg

11252010289.jpg

This is sort of a bad design, since there is a break in strength right behind the engine tab the whole side usually cracks when the frames on these flex.

If you need any more pics or dimensions, let me know....

Sarge

sorekiwi

The limited slip bevel gear differential has no slop and definately makes both tires turn. It will suck in snow with the current tires it has now. They kinda skid when you turn. I love limited slip. Better than peg-legging in snow :thumbs:

What did you do to the diff to lock it up Charlie?

I really like the way the bevel diffs work, but if there is a way to add some limited to the slip I'd be all over that.

Nice job so far!

clintonnut

You need to find one with next to no slop they work similar to a dana power lok. If the diff case is not cracked it will force the spider gears against the sides if the diff causing friction

Zeek

Dug some pictures up of the restored snowblower!

IMG]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp19/desertkart340/wheel%20horse/HPIM1790.jpg

Charlie

If I could only get my wife to let me keep my stuff in the kitchen . . .

You did a fantastic job on this, nice detail :thumbs:

Looks like you did some sandblasting. If you did it yourself, what model blaster are you using?

wheelhorse656

looking good charlie!!!!!!! :thumbs: :)

clintonnut

Got a cab this weekend and sanded the frame and painted it spent hours scrubbing vinyl and found an upholstery shop 3 miles away to get clear vinyl from for windows going to borrow the pto off another tractor and make a taller light bracket for the belt to clear.

ca5706a0.jpg

cbb6be34.jpg

77b53c48.jpg

c42d5709.jpg

18f3c82e.jpg

Charlie

stevebo

Looking real good Charlie!! Almost too good to use as a plow/snowblower machine :ychain:

bitten

Keep up the good work!!!! :ychain: