Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

My New 1977 B-100

MaineDad

Today Mike (MRM) came up to Maine for a little horse trading and selling. I was surprised he made the trip north on his B-Day :wh:

Darren, who lives just down the road got a new goodie too, but I'll leave that introduction up to him. He took a tour of Darren's place too.

Anyways, we made a deal and I now have a 1977 B-100 8 speed with an electric PTO. I already have the carb off for a rebuild, the fuel pump off for a new gasket and tightening, and the breather off for a valve job and new gaskets and filters. I did break the dang muffler trying to get it off :)

It's already dark here at 6:13pm, so I will post some pictures tomorrow. This B-100 will get a tune-up and work this winter, but come spring I plan to do a frame off restore...

OH yeah - as customary when people come here, banana bread with chocolate chip was had :USA:

dgoyette

Micah - was great having you stop by today and great meeting you Mike. Look forward to updates on the new tractor Micah.

Mike brought me a ST-326 and I will post some pics in a thread shortly.

Mike hope you had a nice trip back and thanks again - was very nice talking with you.

Ken B

I'm not surprised at all he came on his B-day. That is the one day outta the yr. a man can do what ever the hell he wants! (ok, maybe fathers day as well) :)

Gerry w

Can't wait to see the pics Micah. And it's always pleasant to visit Maine, you folks are some of the best!

Hope Mike had a good time on his B day!

JimD

MaineDad, I sure would like to see some pics, and you sure treat your guests very well. MMM, banana bread with chocolate chip? I'm hungry. :)

hm12460

Banana bread with chocolate chip?! I'm on my way!

MaineDad

Here are some pictures of my new to me 1977 B-100;

0726101756a.jpg

0726101756.jpg

The front tire chains have been removed as well as the plow. I did get a different 42" plow as part of the deal. I will try to take some clean-up pictures soon too. I have removed the seat, fender, belt guard, foot rests, and battery and battery tray to get power-washed.

The battery tray is shot, so I'm going to need to buy or make one. The seat pan is neat and actually comfortable :)

Polaris2007

Great looking machine Micah! I have never seen a "B" up close. To me it looks like a "C". What are the differences between Bs and Cs??? :)

MRM

Couldn't find a better way to celebrate my B-day than to drive three hours to get some banana bread and do some WH trading and meet some great WH guys.

MaineDad

Update: Took the hood and engine shroud off. I also removed the gas tank and fuel lines, coil and condenser. All to get a good bath with oven cleaner. What a mess it was! Here's it drying;

B-100Bath.jpg

I also adjusted the valves and points to the correct clearance...

stevasaurus

Micah...I just got a plow for my B-100 (1976) and am having trouble with the turning arm fitting. The plow I have is a 6-4114 which is supposed to fit Raider 10's and such. I see you have a plow on your B-100 and the lever comes up next to the frame. Did you try to angle the plow before you tore it down??? If that plow did work...what number is it??? Could you take a couple of pics of the plow mechanism and turning handle??? I'm looking at some fabricating and need some ideas.

MaineDad

Steve,

Actually the picture of my B-100 was taken before I owned it. The plow that you see is still owned by Mike (MRM) and was removed before he delivered it to me. Sorry. Maybe Mike can take a picture for you.

stevasaurus

thanks Micha...probably start a thread after I take some pics and have an idea what it takes.

:USA::wh: :)

MaineDad

Another update: Removed the head to see what I am working with and Oh boy! There was all kinds of oil and you could see a ring at TDC on the front near the valves. Glad I looked before I went too far. A complete rebuild is necessary. Too bad I was hoping to use it this winter. I have it almost all apart now :)

Gerry w

Ah come on Micah, you have at least two weeks before the white stuff!! :USA::)

Good looking rig and we see your up to your "get it done right" stuff again. Good luck!

dgoyette

Wow Micah - you really put me to shame with your motivation level. I can't believe how much you have done already!

I have a suspicion you may be using it this winter yet =)

What a nice restore candidate that B-100 is.

MaineDad

Update:

The machine shop called me today with an update. The crank is bad because of the abuse I gave it while trying to remove the flywheel. But, he said the cylinder bore was 3 3/8" which puts it into K301 land right? So either my K241 had been way over-bored in the past, or I actually have a K301.

The serial number on the engine shroud had 8014206 and said K241S with a Spec Number of 46756d. So I am confused and need some advice. Thanks... :thumbs:

TT

The crank is bad because of the abuse I gave it while trying to remove the flywheel.

Need more input. :thumbs:

What part of it is that bad that it can't be salvaged?

MaineDad

The end was mushroomed because because I broke 3 pullers try to take the flywheel off. He said it actually split when he removed it...

TT

Was it the stud-style (large nut holds flywheel) end or was it already drilled & tapped for a bolt?

MaineDad

Large nut style

MaineDad

another update;

I learned today that the K241 and K301 basically share the same block. So... I can use K301 internals to rebuild this engine. The machine shop had bored the cylinder to ten thousands over so I now need a piston and connecting rod to match. I also am searching for a k301 crank in good condition if anyone can help?

That means I'll have a B-120 :thumbs:

TT

I learned today that the K241 and K301 basically share the same block.

That's not exactly true. They might start out as the same raw casting, but the bore sizes are roughly .125" different on the finished blocks.

The later blocks were cast with a thicker cylinder wall to allow them to be machined to either the 24 cubic inch or the 30 cubic inch (and possibly even the 32 cubic inch) sizes, which saved the factory a lot of extra work.

If the block is bored to the 30 cubic inch size, (a.k.a. K-301 @ 3.375" + available oversizes) you will be able to use a K-301 piston kit with the corresponding connecting rod and the 3.250" stroke K-301 crankshaft.

You can't mix & match an OEM K-241 piston and rod with a K-301 crankshaft.

I think there are some aftermarket parts that can be used to create a 28 cubic inch engine, but I believe that's a K-241 crank with the 3.375" bore of the K-301. I would guess that combination is intended for higher RPM / quicker acceleration, much like the old 289 Ford / 283 Chevy engines were famous for. :thumbs:

MaineDad

Guys,

The block has the number "1" cast on it in a couple of places. Does this number mean anything?

rmaynard

Micah,

Both of my 1977 B-100's have the same "1" cast in the block. I don't know what it is either. I assumed that it was just to mark the casting molds.

Bob