Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Sometimes you guys scare me....

nylyon

Well, not you in particular.... While visiting MTF, C.J., MRWiggles2, has recently refreshed his 416-8. He decided to take his engine shrouds and the cooling fins were packed full of grass and gunk. Then on Yahoo, the guys were talking about the Onans getting killed because of heat from that very reason.

So I got to thinking, I have an Onan, and never have taken the engine shrouds off. So today I took the 416-H out of the shed and tore off the shrouds. Well, good news no clippings in there at all. Not a one, clean as a whistle. The only thing I can think of is each time I mow, I will stop to clean off the blower housing of any leaves or clippings which may get in there. The 42" RD deck doesn't blow nearly as much out the front as the SD does so it stays a lot cleaner anyway.

Then when I am finished mowing, I break out the hand held blower and blow off the entire machine, getting the engine good. Once a month, I will hose the whole thing really good too. Well after 13 years, it's looking great.

I will do the 414 next, but I don't think I'll be as lucky on that one......

Sparky

What I'm wondering is if this applies to all Onans or just the newer style like in your 416. Is my 1977 D-160 with an original 16 twin Onan in it just as prone to this overheating problem.

Mike.......

nylyon

You can always pull the covers off and just give it a good cleaning to be on the safe side.

Sparky

I dont think I can get all the engine sheetmetal off like you can. My motor sits with the crank end facing forwards and the flywheel end facing back at the driver. Off the flywheel side of the motor is where the hydro pump is driven/mounted.

I'm gonna have to take a closer look at that tomorrow when theres better light.

Mike.....

T-Mo

Another good reason to pull out the shrouds every once in a while, especially for those who keep their machines in sheds, is mice nests. I keep mine in a shed and that is sometimes a problem. I bought my JD X320 new in June '06 and then in late September '06 I found a new mouse nest under the flywheel shroud. I cleaned it out and then place both moth balls and d-con in the shed. This kept them out until about March when I found another nest under the battery tray of my JD 112L. So I check under the shrouds every so often as well as monitor my d-con to see it there is any takers. Maybe I'll get a cat.

perry

went to a older gentlemens house over the summer and he had built a snorkle for his toro/wheel horse. it completely covered the flywheel and then the snorkle-scope ran straight up just above the hood. it was about 8 to 12" across and had about a 3-4" opening all the way up. he has 7 acres he mows and found the promblom with grass build up in the engine. he really did a nice job, darn thing looked factory. he's been running like that for years, no more grass promblem. wish i had a pic of that.