Sign in to follow this  
horsefeathers

REPLANTING

horsefeathers

Guys, I know this is a gardening topic page.

But mine is more a land scapeing question. Here goes!

I planted 5 spruce pine trees about 5 years agoin front of my home.

The state is going to replace 100ft of drainage pipe in two weeks!

And the trees are in the way! I want to replant them at the back of my properity!

They are about 4ft tall now and I'd like to save them!

Any info on how to give them a good life?

Thanks!!!

:) HORSEFEATHERS!

stoneman

bud . . . first of all, those spruce pines are very tuff evergreens, so unless you really put the hurt on them in the process, you shouldn't have any problem. First of all, you'll need a good digging shovel. this is the one i use.

shovelforbud.jpg

shovelforbud2.jpg

This is the perfect time to transplant your trees. For 4' -5' spruce, your ball size should be about 16". I'm guessing that they are 1 1/2" - 3' caliper. Depending on the ground moisture, the balls should only weigh about 70lbs, plus the weight of the tree which is minimal.

You'll also need some squares of burlap, and some bailing twine.

Measure out about 7" - 8" around the base of the trees. Cut a ditch around the outside of that circumference about 5" - 8" deep, depending on the length of the spade on your shovel. (the shorter your spade length, the deeper the ditch. You want the bottom of your spade to get a good 16" deep)

Then carefully drive the shovel into the middle of your ditch at about 2 or 3 degrees toward the center of the root. It's best if the ground is a little moist, so if it's not, water them down the night before you want to dig them.

Once you've gone all the way around, you want to bury the spade as deep as you can, and leverage the shovel to pop the tap root. Go from one side to the other, until it pops. Don't try too hard in one place or you'll disrupt the inegrity of the ball. What you don't want to happen is to have the dirt falling off the root system when you pull the tree out of the ground, so be carefull. This is about the most important part of the job.

After you've popped them all, go dig your first hole. You'll use the dirt from the new holes to put in the old ones. The new holes should be about 30" in diameter, and just deep enough to maintain the same elevation as from where you removed them. I like to plant them about 3" higher that the the ground around them.

When you're ready to pull the trees from the ground you'll want to lay a square of burlap on the ground next to them, carefully pull the tree from the ground and onto the burlap. Bring the corners of the burlap up to the trunk and tie it off with the bailing twine.

Sprinkle a little 12-12-12 into the bottom of the hole. The less you handle the tree from there, the better, so it's important to have the right depth before you set the tree in the hole. Stand the tree up next to the hole and get a measurement from the top of the ball to the bottom of the ball, and deduct 3". lay a 2 x 4 on top of the new hole and measure. Get that depth to match you ball measurement and you are ready to set it in the hole. Untie the burlap and just leave it in the hole.

Backfill about half way and tamp the dirt in good, making sure the tree is straight, and the best view of the tree is where you want it.

Finish up with a a handfull or two of PREEN (weed prevention or other pre-emergent), then a few inches of mulch. After you've planted them all, water them in with a few gallons of water.

Your done . . . and I hope you got to use them horses to help.

One more thing . . . :)

Duff

Stoneman, my brother is a professional arborist and says your directions are absolutely perfect! :)

Duff :USA:

bitten

Just an added suggestion is to tie the branches up, it will be much easer to handle. With your bailing twine tie one end to the bottom of the tree, carefully pull the branches up and rap the twine around the tree. Kinda look like the rapd Christmas trees.

Another option is to hire someone with a tree spade to move them for you. Or you might be able to rent one from your local rental place.

Good luck,

P.J.

horsefeathers

Scott, Thank you for the time to reply with the detailed info!

Never expected to get such a great step by step reply!

And thanks Duff 'n Bitten for joining in !

Now I just need to get my back in to it!!!

Thank You All !!!!!!

:) HORSEFEATHERS!

horsefeathers

Stoneman I did get the trees replanted! The state had the backhoe here

And I did not have them dig up yet! so I asked if he could dig'em out!

He poped them out and I replanted them at the rear corner of my lot!

Following your inctructions they look beter wher they are now!

And look to be doing good!

Thank You for your help!

specialwheelhorse

Well that;s great. Now you won't have to get those steroid shots in your back ! !

I hope you gave those fellas a cold drink and a pizza.