Sign in to follow this  
81VikingNB

What's it worth?

81VikingNB

Just wondering what the members think this tractor is worth. I've got it for sale and not getting much interest so I might have it priced too high. Not asking what you would pay, but instead what you would put on it for insurance in case of theft or list it for if you owned it. Looking for some honest feedback. Thanks!! See the Craigs List post for pics and info.

No relisting of Craig's List ads - see Red Square rules.

If you must ask a value (also against RS rules), please copy and paste the ad details and include the images in your post - do not link to the ads, neither CL or ebay. Thanks.

wallfish

:)

My honest feedback is that it is over priced. Definately a nice machine with all the hard to find parts.

stevebo

Seeing as though you asked I agree with Wallfish. If you get $600-$800 range that is top dollar imo. You have a clean tractor but you will need to find the right person who really wants it in this economy. I would not pay more than $400-$500 for it but then again I am not one to ever pay top dollar. I would list it for $750 or best offer and see how that goes. Good luck-

81VikingNB

Wallfish thanks for feedback. What's the price you would ask??? Also what about all the manuals?? I've never seen them all included with a sale. Thnx.

wallfish

Original manuals and other paperwork are a nice touch but that wouldn't effect the price as much as it should, IMO. I bet Jason would disagree. To get that kind of money would be tough because these tractors aren't as rare as many people would think. I don't feel comfortable estimating the cost or price of someone elses tractor unless I'm buying it, so I would suggest doing some research to find a price you are comfortable selling it for. The right person at the right time is a key factor also.

stevebo

Just for a reference I paid $325 for this 400 that came with a plow and mower deck (not original deck). I felt that was a good deal.

400.jpg

formariz

To give you something to compare in 2007 I paid $1067.00 for this one. It is 100% all original never touched in anyway paint or otherwise with plow never mounted and hardware in sealed bag.Complete paper work, even the tags warning to put oil in engine.Tires still have the "nibs" on them. I won it by a few dollars. It was sight unseen only from photos. Only reason I gambled on it was because someone really knowledgeable about Wheel Horses was bidding on it.

Was it worth it? It probably is one of a kind and I wanted it bad enough.So for me it was.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8585

joebob

these guy are pretty much right one with this one, I live in the twin cities and 400.00 is about the going price on average suburbans, the ad you referance in yours is a guy down the road from me that buys high and doubles the price,runs his ads for months and doesnt sell them but ends up parting them, but still asks to much to move his goods, you have a nice burb, love to have it just have two now.

good luck with your sale, oh where are my maners :)

81VikingNB

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess when I saw the price of the other Suburban on MN Craigs list at $1,200 last week I thought this price was about right since mine was in much better shape and had a mover deck and blade. Too bad something that cost around $500 in 1960 isn't worth much more than that today. I also see my snow blade is not the correct one even though it mounts to the front bracket on the tractor. Mine has a triangular square tube open frame construction pivoting bracket. I thought the linkage to move up and down came from the rear hitch like it does to lift the mower deck.

Save Old Iron

Too bad something that cost around $500 in 1960 isn't worth much more than that today.

I think the fact that it is still worth its original $$ is saying something pretty special.

horsefeathers

4513348234_64e1829715_z.jpg

My '60 400 Suburban mostly original runs good, easy resto have mowerdeck.

Paid $250. Not as nice as yours. So... I was drawn to your add !

But I admit the asking price scared me away.

Also rember in some areas of the country these are not readliy avalible.

And will bring a higher selling price! The ol' addage "supply 'n demand"!

I have paid more than a tractor was worth, but it was what I wanted!

I don't think many folks here buy or sell for profit! It's just something we like!

This hobbie is fun because it's affordable, thats why I have soo many horses! :)

:wh: HORSEFEATHERS!

:USA: Good luck on your sale! Or keep it and join in on the fun here!!!!!

81VikingNB

@Moderator

I see nothing in the rules against asking a value OR posting a link to CL. Furthermore, the For Sale thread states specifically that links to CL are allowed for YOUR items which is what I did above where you made the edit. I have copied the rules as found on this site below. I'd suggest changing your rules to match your enforcement policies since I'm confused. :)

More importantly, seeking the collective experiance of experts for valuations should be encouraged. Think Antiques Road Show. With collectables, condition, rarety, and desirability make a big differnce and simply searching the internet is unlikely to give a true picture. Why make it a forbidden policy to ask valuation from those most knowledgeable?

Rules

This forum is for the enjoyment of Wheel Horse Tractors. Hope you find it informative and fun. We have a couple of guidelines to keep RedSquare fun for everyone.

Please post plenty of pictures of your tractor. We love pictures. If your tractor is not in the gallery, please add it. It really helps get a visual of all the horses offered.

We are a friendly group, please do not resort to personal attacks on the forum, keep your posts family friendly. We are family friendly and my kids read many of the posts so keep it clean. Members who continue to poke fun, provoke or otherwise disrupt the forum will be banned

This forum is for Wheel Horse tractors, not for political discussions. There are a ton of things in the world, politics, oil prices, immigration and such, none of which involve Wheel Horse tractors. There are other forums for these discussions so if you need to discuss these items please find the appropriate forum to join.

Please refrain from the use of Slang and "Text Talk", it's too difficult to keep up with all the current sayings plus we have members from other countries where these sayings or slang aren't there. Treat members as you wish to be treated.

Classified section:

IMPORTANT RedSquare is not responsible for the accuracy of the listings. First and foremost, "make all deals at your own risk and settle all disputes off of the forum. It is your responsibility to validate the legitimacy of the seller and the sale. You may report a failed transaction to the moderator / administration team which will be evaluated for repeat offenders. Any effort to deliberately deceive or defraud members will result in expulsion from the forum

Most of all have FUN!

Welcome to WheelHorseForum.com, (RedSquare) Hope you enjoy your stay!

Enjoy!

You can e-mail me at

admin@WheelHorseForum.com

Karl

81VikingNB

Too bad something that cost around $500 in 1960 isn't worth much more than that today.

I think the fact hat it is still worth its original $$ is saying something pretty special.

I thought round hood horses were highly collectable like 60's muscle cars that have significantly appreciated in value relative to their original 1960 price. Obviously, other things from the 60's have no value today. Are there any slide rule collectors? :)

Ken B

The round hoods are colectable for sure but the audience is very limited in comparison to the amount of people who collect 60's muscle cars. In general people who collect 60's muscle cars have deep pockets, especially if they have more than one and if they collect nice specimens. I'd have a warehouse full of 60's muscle cars if I had the dough.

Save Old Iron

Are there any slide rule collectors? :)

I'm sure there are collectors for everything.

I still have my 3 Picketts from high school and college - and the Texas Instruments SR51 calculator that cost a few hundred dollars back in 74'.

Between those and a Denon turntable I still use, my grand-kids will probably bring me as their show and tell piece when they start school.

Slide rules and 33 RPM records - how 70's man !!

I wonder what happened to my 70' Chevelle 454 SS I sold for $1200 back in 1975 ?

Awh , now you got me going !

81VikingNB

I've still got my 64 Chevy with 30k original miles that's in very good original condition like the Surburban that I bought from my relative when I was in high school. If it only had two less doors or if Grandma was into muscle cars instead of sedans .... :)