Sign in to follow this  
dustycarter

Kohler M-12

dustycarter

Hello. Yesterday went to start my tractor. Well I turned it over and it started sounding like a regular starter and then it kept "screeching" for maybe just a second and then turn regular and then do it again. Ok. SO I tryed it again late yesterday same thing. Except today it started to skip while I had the key turned. Then all of a sudden it just kept giving me that high pitch scream and the it just wouldn't do anything except make a noise kind of like a tazer sound.My solenoid is brand new. Tryed crossing it over with a screw driver. Same thing. Battery was fully charged. Checked all of my connections to starter, battery solenoid etc. So my question is what is it and can it be fixed pretty cheap? If I have to buy a whole new starter the I know its not cheap but can't you rebuild some of these? I am to the point of selling this thing and getting me a bigger tractor. Mine is a 312-8. Every time I turn around to use it it is always something. I just spent around $450 getting it rebuilt and all that stuff so this is the last chance for it. Thank you for all of the people who reply and have a wonderful day.

pfrederi

If the Magnum 12 had so much use it needed a rebuild then the starter motor is probably pretty well used up also.

Take the starter off and test it or take it to a starter generator place. Brushes can be replaced but if it is bearings you are probably looking at a replacement.

WH nut

Pick up a starter off ebay and happy mowing

WH nut

Pick up a starter off ebay and happy mowing

Duff

Dusty, maybe a long shot here, but is there any chance it's the gear that engages with the flywheel that's not engaging fully? If that's the case, that assembly may just need to be cleaned and lubed unless the gear itself has gotten torn up. The "taser sound" has me a little confused, but I suppose if the engagement assembly has gotten locked up, it could stall the starter motor and make it hum. If you're going to have to pull the starter off the engine anyway, I'd check to see if things on that end are mving freely.

Just a thought..... :USA:

Duff :)

Dave M

If you just had this engine rebuilt, or did the build yourself, is it possible that the flywheel is rubbing against the pick-up magnets on the ignition module?

persof

Dustycarter,

I replaced the starter on mine and so far it has eliminated those same symptoms.

Francis

Forest Road

Sounds like everyone is on the right track. But if you decide to sell it let me know. All new parts?!?!? I'm in!

Seriously don't to discouraged. Its a bump in the road. All that cash invested and its probably somehting stupid. Hang in there. A new/used tractor will have all the trouble you're going through now somewhere down the road.