Sign in to follow this  
bread320i

Tecumseh H70 just dosnt want to run

bread320i

Im still trying to get this engine running. I've got the correct ignition switch that will ground the magneto so I wont friy my ignition like I did ealier. I installed a new coil, condensor, and points. I have a decent spark, 85 pounds for compression, and a freshly cleaned carburetor. I checked my timing, and the points open .080 BTDC and the points gap is .020. I even tried to put gas through the cylinder and I get nothing. No putt, cough, or pow.

What do I look at next?

WH nut

Did you try a new spark plug, you have fuel, you say you have spark, with plug out, and you have compression. It should run, unless the fly wheel key is sheared and timing is off

wheelhorse656

sounds to me like you have a timing problem. but hopefully its a simple problem :)

bread320i

sounds to me like you have a timing problem. but hopefully its a simple problem :)

Thats what I thought, but I pulled the head off and the points open .080 BTDC. I never took the magneto off when I worked behind the flywheel.

My flywheel key is good and tight.

I'll be putzing on the carb tonight and will report back later.

Kelly

Try a shot of carb cleaner in it, not to much, just a shot, it should bark, I've ran engines with OUT a carb on them, by misting carb cleaner at the port.

Don1977

I have a friend that has work on lawn mower engines for 50 years. He has told me that on some Tecumseh engines you need to attach the points and condenser wires in the same order that they were originally. He says that he has engines that would not run until he switched the points and condenser wires. I know it should make any difference

with wire goes on first, but he said it does. The only thing I can think of is that Tecumseh has a lot less spark than other engines.

bread320i

I've tried starting fluid through the carb and directly into the cylinder and nothing.

It acts like it looses spark once I install the plug because I have great spark when I hold it on the block.

Polaris2007

You can do this to see if your timing is close enough for the engine to run:

1. Remove the sparkplug.

2. Put the plug wire back on the sparkplug, and ground the base of the plug on a cooling fin or other source of ground. Make sure it is grounded well...scratch it on the cooling fin a bit.

3. put the pad of your thumb over the sparkplug hole, and try to keep it sealed. Pull or crank the engine over. you should see a spark at about the same time that the piston squeezes air out around the seal you tried to make with your thumb. If it sparks when the air rushes out, it will fire. Put a few dribbles of gas in the plug hole, screw the plug back in, and crank her over.

pumper.atv

Try a new spark plug even if you put a new one in already, sometime you get ones that won't fire under compression but will out side of the motor :)

:USA:

puddlejumper

Try a shot of carb cleaner in it, not to much, just a shot, it should bark, I've ran engines with OUT a carb on them, by misting carb cleaner at the port.Try a shot of carb cleaner in it, not to much, just a shot, it should bark, I've ran engines with OUT a carb on them, by misting carb cleaner at the port.Try a shot of carb cleaner in it, not to much, just a shot, it should bark, I've ran engines with OUT a carb on them, by misting carb cleaner at the port.

Kelly

You can do the same thing with a propane or acetylene torch give it a little gas and it will run just fine.Know a guy with a cold natured 4 wheeler that warms his up with propane in the winter. Dont know why he dont fix it :)

bread320i

I had a small engine mechanic look it over today, and he couldnt expain why the engine wouldnt even pop, or bark but it defently didnt want to run. This guy has a ton of engine's so we swaped the engine for a 6hp tecumseh from a Reo snow thrower. This thing runs so nice, I have to take back all the negative things I said about tecumseh's. Plus the best part was the engine and all the work was free. I owe this guy alot of favors. I'll enjoy driving this tractor around at the last tractor show this weekend.

Kelly

Glad you have the tractor going, sounds like a tear down to see what was wrong with the H70.