Sign in to follow this  
driver6964

fuel problem

driver6964

Hi folks; i have a 416-8 that is a 94 frame but it has a 74 16 kohler on it. as you know that engine was for a tractor with the metal tank beside the engine. it is now in the frame with the plastic underseat tank. i bought it this way. heres the problem. if the tractor sits for a week the gas seems to syphon back to the tank. it will only start when you give it some starting fluid. but will run all day after starting. i replaced the fuel line., and there is no restriction in the line or shutoff. im wondering if the matal original fuel pump is rated to draw the gas that far. since it did not have to do that the way it was designed originally. i can buy the plastic kohler replacement pump for 40 bucks, but i want to be sure that will solve the problem. as always i appreciate your knowledge and help thanks ; Allen :USA: :)

TT

The pump will easily draw that far if it's in good condition. The problem is probably due to varnish / build-up on the "check valve" discs within the top section of the pump itself. If they do not seal completely, the fuel will drain back the line and the system will lose it's prime. Weakening of the springs behind the discs is also a possibility.

Aside from the obvious disassembly, inspection & cleaning of the pump parts (or replacing the pump), you can just close the shut-off under the tank when you're done using the tractor. (if it's going to sit for a while) remembering to open it again is the tricky part. :)

I have three tractors that do this when they sit for a while and all I do is LIGHTLY pressurize the gas tank just prior to starting. A "blow gun" wrapped with a rag and stuck in the filler opening works great, or - if you aren't proud - you can just use your lungs. :USA: