Sign in to follow this  
trucker79005

C-165 Air filters, trannies, and everything else..

trucker79005

Ok.. I've been reading the forums and searching all day. :USA: I did finally buy this c165 from my brother and hoping to do some tilling today. Started looking and realized I had a number of issues :) I was going to list them all at once, but that might overwhelm you guys like it has me.

I don't have a manual for the tractor and seems like I can't find one on toro's website without a serial number. I thought someone gave me one to use but can't find it anywhere. Was told the model was 11-16K801

Tractor.jpg

#1 - Air Filter - Mine is missing the filter and the cover. I looked on partstree, but the assembly that looks kinda like mine is not listed in the parts lists. Found a couple on ebay, but i wasn't sure how to tell if they'd fit

My brother borrowed one off of a generator, but It's a solid foam filter. He said he would cut up the cover to fit over a proper filter if we could find it.

RiggedAirfilter.jpg

#2 - Tranny fluid is orange!! (By the way, I found the post about shifting on the fly...AFTER my first drive today where i tried to shift it like my Peterbilt. Kinda worked :wh:

I'm assuming that water has got in somehow and the orange is from rust. This think is quickly eating all my grocery money, so... here's some pics. Can i get away with just flushing and changing the oil for now?? looks like the common opinion is either the 90-140 or 80-90??

IMG_2205.jpg

TrannyFluid.jpg

I guess this was still alot :)

JimD

I can't help with the air filter other than to say check ebay for one.

the trans looks like it has water in it. I would drain it and flush it out with kerosene with catch pans under the axles. Those seals are already leaking and will leak all over your floor, (yea, I found out the hard way) then replace the seals, which can b done from the outside. You'll nee to remove the wheels and hubs and clean and deburr the axles to prevent damaging the new seals. You can get them from Toro, or your local Napa parts store. Someone here will know the part number for those. Best of luck getting her back in order, she's worth the effort. :)

Gene_S

I've sure seen a whole lot worse... You need the correct air cleaner cover and then the right air cleaner of corse. I'm sure you can find the right cover either here from a member or on ebay. Plus you can still buy the cover new from Kohler at any Toro dealer, or Kohler dealer.

As for the oil on the ends of your axles... I'd flush the transmission and then re-fill with 80-90 and see what happens. Thats not alot of oil on the ends of the axles. Don't take much oil for dust and dirt to stick to and it looks like that. But if you want to replace your axle seals, the part number at Toro is 100443 (need two @ $5.20 each). If you had much water in the oil, most times its alot farther up on the dip stick and its alot more lighter color.

Good luck...

stevebo

I may have an air filter set up that will work. Send me your mailing ad and I will mail to to you. It will need a clean up (paint) bit it will work. I would flush the tranny and refill.

HankB

Also check the trans shifter boot. Those deteriorate with age.

The recommended lubricant for my 312-8 is 90W-140 GL-5. I had 85W-140 GL-5 which I figured was close enough.

-hank

Retired Wrencher

:) :USA::wh: Trucker I agree with all the post being the seals are a must as u are doing that u can check to see how the axles are doing = if any problems there. As for carb area in your spare time I would clean the engine to see if any leaks and rebuild the carb,seem to have some moisture on the bowl sign that the seal is leaking then the air cleaner. A clean engine with no dirt and mud and grass build up in the fins is a COOL running engine. Also clean the shroud for better air flow. Go to Lowe's and buy a $40.00 seat that is a generic type. Other than that so far it looks like a great worker. Good luck and T/Care Gary B....

trucker79005

Thanks all! :USA: Still hoping someone maybe has a serial number i could use to get a manual and maybe i would not have to bug everyone so much for part #'s. I'm assuming a manual has some kind of part # list.

Steve bo, I did email:)

If anyone knows the correct air filter # i'll pick one up at NAPA today. Is the Champion RH10 the correct spark plug??

Gene, Thanks for the seal #. I couldn't figure it out on partstree. Found an old post on here that crossed that to a skf 11050.

Gary - Not sure if i want to thank u or beat u :) of all the stuff on my list i hadn't noticed the nasty carb:( I've never rebuilt any carb, how hard is it?? just looked on parts tree. looks like i might need a serial number. it shows some kind of a kit for $222. i'm hoping thats for a complete carb and that i could buy whatever gaskets and ??? separately???

Should i be able to get mower deck blades from a farm supply store or will i have to pay the 40-50 buck to get them online?

Mowerdeckblade.jpg

trucker79005

Yes, i'm avoiding the axle seal subject! i've read a lot of the past posts and horror stories and im really not sure if that's something i can do or not. Maybe i should wait till it can be disabled and inside for a while??!!