Sign in to follow this  
yokomist

Trouble Starting K241

yokomist

Hello,

I have a kohler k241 on a 1056 that is giving me trouble.

So Far:

There is a spark

Fuel pump works

All new fuel lines

Freshly rebuilt carb

Points cleaned and gapped

Spark plug gapped and tested

Engine turns over fine

Engine has compression

Engine will backfire every now and again when cranking

Recent oil change

Wont run with carb cleaner sprayed in carb

Wont run with carb cleaned spayed in spark plug hole

I think thats all I can remember for right now.

Does anyone have some suggestions to try?

Thanks!

Bevan

B-8074

When you rebuilt the carb did you set the idle and main fuel jet needles? Turn them all the way in gently and back the idle needle out 1 turn and the main out 1 1/2 turns. I think thats right, if not I'm sure someone will correct me.

yokomist

Thanks for the reply B-8074,

The kohler manual give two sets of info for setting the carb up. I tried both and neither helped.

The carb is a walbro adjustable jet and the settings are listed as:

Low 1 3/4

High 1 1/8

and just in case I tried setting listed under Kohler Adjustable Carb

Low 2 1/2

High 2

But no luck under either setting.

Thanks

Bevan

Jim_M

Is your spark strong and blue? If it's not, it won't start the engine.

If so, just for the heck of it, try a spark plug that's been proven to work in another engine. I have had new spark plugs that won't fire under compression, hot blue spark outside the engine but wouldn't run when installed.

B-8074

When you set the points did you make sure the crank was at TDC (top dead center)?

yokomist

I tried the plug out of my k301 which is good and new and that didnt help.

When I set the points I turned the engine so they were at the most open position... I may have been incorrect doing that? The points are at .020 at the most open position.

Thanks,

Bevan

stevasaurus

Bevan...if it will not start with carb cleaner sprayed in the carb. Almost has to be no spark at the plug. Pull the plug, ground the threads of the plug to a bolt and with the coil wire on... crank the engine and see if you can see the spark jump. Be sure to use insulated pliers while holding the plug. :USA: If no spark...work your way back through the circuit with a multi-meter. After setting for so long, a few bucks on points plug and condenser is a good investment. Hopefully the coil is OK...they cost some bucks. :)

stevasaurus

Is your spark strong and blue? If it's not, it won't start the engine.

If so, just for the heck of it, try a spark plug that's been proven to work in another engine. I have had new spark plugs that won't fire under compression, hot blue spark outside the engine but wouldn't run when installed.

Jim...that is a new one...never heard of that. Any ideas on why that happened?? :)

yokomist

Hey Steve :)

I have pulled the plug (done this with both plugs) And grounded it out on the engine block and seen both sparking. I agree that this seems like the weak link if it wont fire.

I do have a condenser and coil off my k301 that were tried on this engine too.

Hmmm there are too many possibilities, and its always knowledge that is my problem lol

I appriciate the help!

Bevan

stevasaurus

I'm stumped at this point. You did say you have compression, right.

Jim_M

What color is the spark?

Steve,

I have no idea. At this point I blame Chinese quality control.

yokomist

Yes Sir,

I have no way to measure it that I know of but there is definately good compression.

Just to be 100% Jim I went ahead and tried the plug from my briggs engine and that didnt work either. I think that rules out the plug as far as i know.

Spark is blue in color

How wet should the spark plug be? I am not seeing it soaking or anything.

Is it possible for there to be a blockage between the carb and the plug? When the engine was cranked initially, pieces of junk were coming out of the exhause hole.

:)

Bevan

B-8074

No need to call me sir, I work for a living to. :USA: I had the same problem once and I had thought I set the points right. It turned out that the timing was off. I set the points without checking to see if the "S" on the fly wheel was the sight hole. There is a post here somewhere that shows you how to do it with out a meter.

stevasaurus

Bevan...I hate to ask this...but you did have the choke open when you sprayed the carb cleaner in and the closed the choke about 2/3 and cranked...right???

The plug should be wet or at least moist if you are cranking and it is not firing.

Still doesn't explain why it won't fire with carb cleaner sprayed in. :USA:

yokomist

Hey Guys,

Steve - I sure did, I think I have tried about every position that stupid choke goes in from full open to full close lol :)

I am trying to check the timing as per the link, hopefully it will sort me out. Just trying to find the sight hole in the shroud... any time now haha

Thanks for all the effort!

Bevan

stevasaurus

I see SOI in here...any ideas Chuck??? :)

That post that B-8074 posted is excellent Bevan. Sometimes it is good to just sit back and have a beer and then go back to it. :USA:

B-8074

Not to sound dumb :) SOI???

stevasaurus

Save Old Iron...one of the members that is very good with the electrical part of this. :)

TT may have some ideas also.

:USA:

B-8074

Ok, I've read alot of his Threads. Seems to know alittle bit about everything. Lots of good info. :) :USA:

TT

Try this: (with extreme caution)

Take the air cleaner backing plate off of the carb, hold your hand over the carb throat, and crank the engine.

Your hand should get sucked against the carb on each intake stroke. If it doesn't, you may have a partially stuck open valve (or a blockage in the exhaust) This "technique" has also been proven to get a stubborn carb primed.

Anglo Traction

I have pulled the plug (done this with both plugs) And grounded it out on the engine block and seen both sparking.

Hi Bevan, when you say Engine Block, have you checked it on the Cylinder Head.

I assume you've not had the head off. You may have high resistance between Head and Cylinder.

Just a thought !

Regards

stevasaurus

Beautiful TT...keep an eye on this thread...Bevan has been through some poop and deserves a break...thanks :)

yokomist

Anglo - Yes I am just a newb, I dont know the terminology lol I havent had the head off :)

TT - thanks for your help, when my hand is over the carb there is sucking, but there is also some air expelled like a fast breathing in and out to match the cranking of the engine.

Steve - TT is the man, he once gave one of my horses an identity, hopefully he will know what the deal is with this engine :USA:

Also I am still searching for the flywheel shroud viewing hole. Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Bevan

B-8074

It should be on the left side of the shroud if your facing the fly wheel.