Sign in to follow this  
jst1more

front tires fluid filled

jst1more

Starting to restore a pretty nice rj58 and found the front tires are filled. The front tires and rims are in good condition and my latest thought is, why not hand sand the rims rather than break down everything and then sandblast the rims? I was wondering if I will regret not getting the fluid out - but nothing bad has happened the last 50 years - I was just wondering what you guys thought.

I wouldn't even be giving this tractor a new coat of paint, but the PO painted it a rusty red color.

Thanks for your help, Scott

Kelly

Take a small sample out to see what they are filled with?? if chloride get it out, but if beet juice or something that will not rot the rims I guess leave it.

jst1more

I never heard of beet juice, thanks for your insight Kelly. I will check it out

Scott

VinsRJ

If you are looking to restore the RJ for tractor shows and running around the yard, get the liquid out no matter whats in there.

MikesRJ

Take the liquid out.

hcminis

small bit of advice...don't do it on your paved driveway...will tear the heck out of asphalt. :)

KC9KAS

The beet juice is called RIM GUARD, and it is what most state and county highway departments are using as a "pre-treatment" on highways BEFORE a snowfall.