Sign in to follow this  
Dale

8hp hydro

Dale

I have a c-165 with no motor, I also have a good running K181. do you think the 8hp would have enough power?

I really like the k181's smooth running and easy on fuel

My 7 year old son wants a tractor to plow snow and garden, but he's not strong enough to use the hand lift

Save Old Iron

Dale,

something to consider - a 4 cylinder pickup can technically do the same work as a turbo diesel - but its takes a lot more time and a lot more trips back and forth to move the same load.

Will that save gas in the long run.? Probably not. It will put tons of hours on the engine and always having it run maxed out.

Not a great formula for longevity.

Dale

I know it would be harder on a smaller engine. I know where a c-101 is might just go buy that today and swap out the 8 speed

Save Old Iron

Dale, the extra 2 hp may not sound like a lot, but the 10 HP opens up a whole new world for you in plowing and pushing.

You will have 25% HP gain with the 10.

I'm sure your son will have fun with either one but 10HP may be the "sweet spot" for you on workability and fuel consumption.

:)

Dale

there should be a big difference in toque between the 8 and 10

Save Old Iron

torque = :) smiling faces while pushing and plowing

Jim_M

The first Hydro that Wheel Horse built (875) was only 8 horsepower. I've had a couple and they do a lot with only 8 horsepower.

Docwheelhorse

Hi--I think it was Wild Bill that said that the hydros in the C165's etc... take 5-6 HP to run BY THEMSELVES.... so that leaves 2 hp in the bank. Not alot to get stuff done with and if you start pulling the RPM's down the pump will suffer from lack of lubrication---the manual says to run them at the full 3600 and vary your speed with the control lever not the throttle. If you can afford it I would buy one of the Chinese Honda clones from Harbor freight---I think the 13hp model is around $200! That would make a runner out of the old girl and be plenty of fun for your 10 year old. I have seen a few of these Chinese Hondas and have a pair of "cheapo" quads with Honda clones in them and they run amazingly sweet.

Tony