Sign in to follow this  
galaxiejoe

New guy with an old Wheel Horse

galaxiejoe

I am having some trouble figuring out the model number for a WH just given to me. After going over some photos I think its a 1965-67,it has the black round choke and throttle knobs with the silver dash. it was repainted so most of the decals are missing and I can't id the engine.

I was running like a top before it was moved but now it wont stay running for long. It looks like there was a new set of points installed but I think its not getting spark. Is there a cross reference for a new coil, condenser, and plug wire? Also what would the model number be for a plow or snow blower for this tractor

Thank you for any help

Joe

Docwheelhorse

Email sent....

Tony

rmaynard

:)

Glad to have you aboard Joe. How about posting some pictures. That would be a good start. Lots of help and information will be available to you here.

Bob

Suburban 550

:) Joe.

dclarke

:) Joe, glad you're here.

Kelly

Sorry but we need alot more info to help you out, post pictures if you are not sure of what you have, we can and will figure it out.

Roger from southern Iowa

:USA: Glad you found us!!! :)

VinsRJ

whfan74

Once you get the picture posting figured out we will get you all squared away.

Enjoy the forum!

racinfool40

:) :USA::wh: Glad to have you with us. As I did check out the How to post picture's and you will get all the help you need!!!!

fabricator2009

galaxiejoe

Thanks for the warm welcome, I could not get to my computer yesterday but here are some pictures.

WH1.jpg

WH2.jpg

WH3.jpg

Joe

TT

:USA:

That would be an 855 or 856. The ID tag under the dash housing is visible in the one picture, so all you need to do is "read" it to us. :)

wheelhorse656

:USA: hey glad to have you.

P.S. i can id tag under the dash check it for your model number. :) :wh:

leichty

Welcome, nice to have you onboard.

galaxiejoe

The tag was half painted but I could make out 856, I don't think I would of seen that little tag there. so what type of Kohler engine would I have, I did find that tag but it only has the SN on it.

The search engine will not look up 856, what model WH plow or snow blower should I be looking for. Also is there a source for tires mine are looking bad?

Thank you

Joe

Lane Ranger

That will be an 8 Horse Kohler starter/generator type motor.

Also you can get a manual online on the Red Square website by chcking out Wheel Horse.org under Wheel Horse Tractors and Wheel Horse Links (the first link page on Red Square) and the First manual group should have the 855 Operating Manual and Parts List for your use.

Kelly

It may just be the angle but does the engine pulley (starter side) have two groves one being used to start it and a unused one?? if so it may be just a changed pulley OR it could be a 701 engine (7hp), but we would need the engine ID # to know that, and like I said it may just be my old tired eyes.

galaxiejoe

I joined the first yahoo group listed on wheelhorse.org, waiting to get approved.

Kelly, your eyes are working well there are 2 groves on the engine pulley. The rear one is connected to the starter and the front one is unused, but has 2 notches cut in it. I was thinking it was for a rope pull start. Tomorrow I will get what numbers I can get off the number plate on the engine. I would like to get the correct belt cover for the starter after I get it running.

Joe

Kelly

Well when you go to find a starter belt cover look for a single grove pulley to go with it, as the 701 double covers are hard to find and NOT cheap, find the numbers on the engine so you know or we can help you figure out what engine you have.

Kelly

couple more notes or questions is the gas tank plastic? should be metal, are you missing the points cover? and that almost looks like the thin air cleaner that was used on the 7hp engine the 8hp used a thicker one, how tall is the cover? engine ID tag should be under the coil, that is not mounted in the correct place but works and is fine.

wheelhorse656

i have a metal gas tank that is the right one if you are intereasted.

galaxiejoe

The only numbers that can be seen on the engine plate are First line 763570 and the line below 30160A. What is the second pulley on the fly wheel for? where should the ciol be mounted?

The tank is plastic and I do have the points cover, I had it off to check there condition. Still can get the old WH running right. It will start run fine then the rpms will serge up and down a few times and die. I did notice that the spark from the points gets smaller as it starts serging. Plus its leaking oil from behind the fuel pump, the points cover, and the governor arm

Joe

TT

A quick check of that spec number shows that the tag came from what I believe* to be a 1966/67 Toro Suburban tractor. Check to see if there's a printed (not stamped) letter "B" or "C" before the serial number.

*Kohler claims that the engine was manufactured for Toro, and that's the only Toro I can find that used a K-181.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spec numbers beginning with the number 3 were assigned to K-181 engines.

Double belts from the starter/generator were used on some Kohler models to reduce belt slippage. (the 1961 701 was the only Wheel Horse to use the double belts)

The coil would have mounted vertically to a bracket bolted to the "front" oil pan to block bolts.

855WH011.jpg