Sign in to follow this  
JBsDeere

newbie with a WorkHorse

JBsDeere

So i just picked up this tired looking Horse for $350 to use at one of the houses that has about 2 acres. (Yes I know I probably paid a lil much but out of all the Deere, Cubs, and Horses I looked at, it was the one in the best running condition.) I have/had several Deere but never owned a Horse.

I believe it is a 1971 WH 800 with the 36" rear discharge deck, rear sleeve hitch, HH80, and some sort of 3 speed transmission.

The deck is functional but rusted pretty bad, PO riveted plates over parts of it, but it mows fairly well. Might need some new or just resharpened blades. The seat panel and foot rests are missing alot of paint but theres no rust. Needs new seat as well. The oil looked like asphalt sealant but was full and the engine never smokes.

I changed the oil and mowed for about an hour and a half before it bogged and quit on me. after some carb adjusting it will run and idle smooth but does not like high idle transition much as it takes a minute to stop studdering/hunting. Appears to have carb/fuel pump problems. Already pulled the fuel lines and verified they are flowing through the fuel strainer to the pump.

Ok enough rambling, here are my questions.

1. Where is the drain plug for the transaxle? I found the fill plug but no drain? I assume it never has been changed.

2. Where can I find a rebuild kit for the carburetor and fuel pump, or replacements?

3. I might be interested in a 42" snow blade, about what can I expect to pay for one in decent condition?

Attached Image

post-3-1285535243.jpg

Buzz

Your 1971 Workhorse 800 is model number 1-0100. You can get a complete parts breakdown of your tractor if you go to Partstree and enter that model number. Here's the link: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mh=8

You'll need an engine manual so you can rebuild your carb. Here it is thanks to MTF:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/refer...o18castiron.pdf

You can download a transmission manual from Toro by putting 1-0100 for model number and "none" for serial number. Here's the link:

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

The drain plug for your transmission is in the bottom of it. It is flush with the case and takes an allen wrench (1/4"?) to get it out. It may be hard to find because of dirt and crap. Clean it out good before putting an allen wrench in so you don't round it off. Replace the rubber boot on the shifter if it's torn.

If it's the original engine it should be a HH80-110112D. You should be able to get a carb rebuild kit from any dealer or small engine repair shop that has the Tecumseh sign in the window.

Good luck and have fun.......

whfan74

:wh:

You picked up a nice old Horse there. Maybe some of those Deere will be put out to pasture to make room for some more Horses! :USA:

Depending on your location and time of the year may dictate the price of a blade. I do have some available if interested. Where are you located?

Congrats on your new purchase! :)

Duff

We've seen 'em in a LOT worse shape than that brought back to life, and they've run for many more years. You got yourself a good working machine - well worth a few dollars and hours to resurrect it. Might even like it so much you decide to pull it apart and restore it....hmmmm.....

Welcome aboard! :USA:

Duff :)

VinsRJ

:USA:

Looks good to me :)

JBsDeere

Thanks guys. Got the carb gaskets, spark plug, and air filter from a local WH place. Now the battery won't hold charge because I drained it from trying to start so many times:( Gonna pick up new one.

More Questions...

1. What weight oil does the transmission take?

2. How cheaply can i get a decent condition snow plow assembly?

The Local WH place has a pile of old horses and parts, namely a bunch of snowplows complete from the rear axle mounts forward including angler. The most mint one he had he wanted $325 for... Thats as much as i paid for the whole tractor! He had some ones with a bunch of surface rust that were still solid but he wouldn't commit to a price on them.

PS. The "wheel horse" emblems on the hood were supposed to say "work horse" but the P.O. changed them a while ago. (in case that made a difference in identifying what the tractor is)

JBsDeere

:wh:

You picked up a nice old Horse there. Maybe some of those Deere will be put out to pasture to make room for some more Horses! :USA:

Depending on your location and time of the year may dictate the price of a blade. I do have some available if interested. Where are you located?

Congrats on your new purchase! :)

I'm in North East Ohio.

bitten

Hello and :)

You can pick up a nice 42" blade for about $100, look on CL I see them all the time. As for the transmission oil the manual say S.A.E. 140 A.P.I. service GL-5 gear oil.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Roger from southern Iowa

Hello, :)

JBsDeere

Thanks for the help!