Sign in to follow this  
MrEricT

New guy in town....

dclarke

:) Eric.

MrEricT

Well this morning I adjusted the valves.... in accordance with the service manual, the intake was spot on but the exhaust valve was really tight. I haven't tried it yet... I started looking into wiring the electric pto.

MrEricT

Well after messing with this all weekend. I think I'm just gonna swap the k181 back on. I'll save this project for a rainy day. My grass is getting a little high and I cant seem to get this engine to work proper. After alot of reading and messing with the carb all day..... I've gotten it to a point where I can get it to run with the choke off. But if I put any sort of a load on the engine.... the mower deck.. going up hill.... it wants to die. It's also backfiring from the exhaust and from the carb a little bit. Anyways, Thanks for the tips everyone.

I was back and fourth on putting the k301 on the 800 to begin with. It's such a nice little tractor. Boredom got the best of me. I guess itll just run on 8hp like it was meant to. Mebbe I'll start working on the 12 auto..... or see if someone else wants a project and get something else. I'm really not a big fan of the hydrostatic trans. Most of the parts are here for it although I have it mostly torn down.

mavfreak

i know there is no replacement for displacement but that little 8hp is quit impressive for what it is. My little commando 800 plowed that 30" of snow this year. not bad for an 8hp.

MrEricT

Yeah, it always does pretty good plowing for me... I just thought the added weight would help out up front and mo powaa never hurts. :) The bigger engine looks sorta ridiculous on there anyways after being used to seeing the 8hp engine on there. I think I'll just keep it stock.... finish it up and enjoy it for what it is... a great little worker.

mavfreak

I know it needs more weight up there. Hard to trun in the snow! maybe look for some front wheel weights or something. I made a weight holder for mine that holds some old pastic weights from an old weight set I used to have but it actually makes it hard to stear all the time.

Anyway I wouldn't give up on putting your 12hp on there but maybe take your time and get it working good befor the swap. I sould be an even better tractor with that on there

MrEricT

Sure enough. It is indeed a bugger to steer at times when tryin to push a snowbank. :)

I have been sifting and digging thru the internet doing some research on the carb. I think I'm going to try a rebuild kit before I give up all hope.

When I overhauled the carb on my k181, it was a matter of setting the base settings in accordance to the service manual and getting the engine warmed up then dialing the high and low speeds in. The little guy has always been a good little engine. I need a head for it tho since someone must have stripped out the spark plug. They made some sort of bushing that likes to come loose on its own.... when it starts acting up I just shut it down...and tighten the plug then its good as new till it does it again. At least it doesn't smoke or anything tho :USA:

But with this carb on the k301 its like theres no fuel getting to the low speed adjustment side of the carb. I can take the screw completely out of the side of the carb and nothing changes.... just like when I run it all the way in. Like the needle isnt sucking fuel to the top. I tried closing off the holes on the needle aside from the bottom two with a piece of heat shrink and managed to get it running without the choke on..... but its still acting up. I also noticed that the main jet I think it is, mines slash cut at an angle where on this other k301 carb I have its flat looking into the carb.

Ive shot carb cleaner thru all the passageways and am 100% positive everything is clear. Maybe its something with the float setting. I set it so the float is parallel to the bottom of the carb like the manual says. It's funny..... at 31 years old I can tell you almost anything you want to know about electronic fuel injection..... but when it comes to a carb..... Im almost at a loss haha. I'll just keep messing with it till I figure something out..... thats how we learn right :wh:

tgranthamfd

Some of the posts I have read said to get some carb dip and soak it overnight then blow some carb cleaner or compressed air through all of the passages, when having the choke on issues. I have never had to go this route, though.

MrEricT

I scored another carb. It is used. I soaked it in super duty oven cleaner for about 20 mins..... stuff works great. Took all the grime and paint right off. I then took the time to clean all the ports and make a bushing for around the throttle shaft before putting everything back together. Got the k301 running fairly descent. I just set the static timing according to the pdf I found in another thread. So we will see how this works.

Horse'n Around

:USA: Thats a really nice Commando.If you can find a way, I would keep both of them and fix the other up later, You can never have enough Horses :wh: but I know how it is when you are short on storage space and such. Once again, welcome to the forum :)

John

Still stuck in Arizona :)

MrEricT

Hey thanks! I wouldnt mind keeping the the auto..... but I need some other things for the commando..... I dont think my mower deck is gonna make it another year.... so I'm hoping to part the auto out and make enough to score a descent deck. I'm glad to be here. Reading thru threads and learning so much :)

mavfreak

wow thats a beautiful engine! What is it?

MrEricT

In my avatar? Thank you :) That is the BMW m50b25tu I pulled from a 94 BMW 525 and installed in my 86 BMW 325es.

Heres a couple pics of it in the car.....

Photo0201.jpg

Photo0192.jpg

and this is what the car looks like as of right now..... this has been my labor of love for the last couple years.... I just need to paint it now. Its my little bavarian corner carver. The list of modifications and handmade parts I've made could go on forever...... this is one of those part of the family cars.... my 6yr old daughter calls it her bumblebimmer.

caps1.jpg

interior shot....

Photo0061.jpg

MrEricT

Well after sorting out some issues with the k301, making a couple custom pulleys for the drive belt, and a much needed oil change. I successfully mowed the lawn today :)

Now I'm gonna put the dozer blade on and give grading the driveway a whirl.