Sign in to follow this  
MrEricT

New guy in town....

MrEricT

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd say hi while I peruse the forum. I am a proud owner of a 72 commando 800 that I use mostly for mowing/pushing snow. I'm a big fan. Heres a quick pic. I love this little tractor. Just ask my wife :) Oh, and I know... I need a new mower deck :USA: Eventually I'll find one.

Photo0163.jpg

I also have a 73 12hp auto that needs restored...... but I'm thinking about parting it out... I've got the engine in commission on another project, yeppers... its on the 800 but I'll be keeping the 8hp so I can swap it back to stock if the spirit moves me. I just haven't got the space I'd like to have to keep a second tractor :) But the hydro rear end works flawlessly which is nice. I had it running and drove it around the yard a bit before pulling the engine. The poor thing just sat out in the weather for a few years and the hood, fenders and whatnot are very weathered and rusty. But it seems like it could be salvageable. Heres a quick shot of that one....

Photo0162.jpg

and both of them together....

Photo0161.jpg

And heres the 800 as it sits right now mid surgery.... sorry to the purists... but like I said.... I'm making sure I can flip it back to stock form. :wh:

Photo0238.jpg

B-8074

:) There are alot of good people here to help you with what ever you need. Good looking pair. The 12 looks like a real good canidate for restoe.

MrEricT

Thanks! Yeah.... it's not too far gone. I was thinking maybe a winter project.... but I have alot of projects haha :)

rmaynard

:)

Glad to have you aboard.

Bob

Roger from southern Iowa

:USA: Glad to have you here!! :)

JimD

MikesRJ

Duff

Couple of nice tractors there!

:USA:

Duff :)

wh79d160

I've heard of those optional saddle tanks, but I've never seen one. :wh: cool. :) :USA:

racinfool40

:USA: Mr eric a great group here and were abouts you located.have couple 36" decks if interested and boyh tractors lookin good :)

tommy3horse

Hello Eric and :)

Nice rides you have there.

Tom

:USA:

MrEricT

I am near Williamsport, PA. Thanks for the warm welcome :) Yeah I think that saddle tank was a 72 only option..... I'm guessing since it reads 2 1/2 imperial gallons it must be only available in europe :USA:

Suburban 550

:) Eric.

Polaris2007

:) You will find pureists here, and you will find guys that like to experiment.......But the one thing that holds true, is that everyone loves to see what everyone else has going on, whether it is a 100% true-to-stock restoration, or a Big block Chevy powered C-series. I have four or five tractors in my shop in various states of completion. I have a '70 Raider 10 that is going to get powered with this old GIANT dinosaur Wisconsin single cylinder engine. This thing is H-U-G-E!! it takes 3 men just to lift this engine. It will require extensive hood modification to make it fit. But it should be pretty cool when it's finished.

mavfreak

:) I have a commando 800 also. Love it. it'll be one that I'll never sell.

MikesRJ

:) You will find pureists here, and you will find guys that like to experiment.......

And you'll even find those who talk excessively and never once show a picture of an entire tractor they actually own ... Go figure?!?!

bustedglass

:) Eric. Glad to have you here. There is nothing that you cant learn about :USA: on this forum. Just sit back, and, ENJOY :wh: .

MrEricT

Hahaha... I feel so welcome already :) Well I figured I cant come to a wheel horse forum without posting up pics of what I'm workin with :USA: I highly doubt I will ever get rid of my commando 800 as well. More for sentimental reasons than anything.

Ive got the 800 all back together with its new k301 power plant. I'm experiencing some technical difficulties tho. Rotten thing doesn't wanna run unless the chokes full on and the throttle is about pegged. Hmmmm.... soon as I attempt to back the choke off or drop the engine speed she sputters and dies. I'm guessing its something with the carb. Any good ideas on a place to start. I pulled the plug and it looks like its running really rich. Black soot on the plug.

ducky

sound like the carb needs adjusting or dirty air filter. and :)

MrEricT

I reset the carb base settings... same deal... There seems to be a bit of play in the shaft for the butterfly.... possible its leaking a bit of air causing my issue??

MrEricT

Ok, so I adjusted the governor and I have regained throttle control.... however I still cant take the choke off. I had an old suzuki gs550 that did this and it was because the slow jets were plugged up. I noticed when I turn the low idle screw...nothing happens.... I can take the thing completely out and theres no change while its running. I have taken the carb apart.... cleaned everything with gum cutter and made certain everything was clean putting it back together. But I am getting stumped. Heres a quick video tho :)

th_Video0019.jpg

mavfreak

I have found that nothing I do works but a rebuild.

MrEricT

Yeah.... I dont think rebuilding the carb is a bad idea at all.

Indy w h

Well Mr.Eric T , Wheel Horses are like Burger King you can have'em your way!!

Indy :)

MrEricT

Haha...yeah. I was doing a spot of reading about people having the same issue I'm having. Seems like some claim its a valve sticking or improperly adjusted. I guess I can try adjusting the valves to make sure.