Sign in to follow this  
Raider

Front wheel bearings and spindles

Raider

I've got parts from a few different tractors here and noticed some of the front wheels have caged bearings in them while others have solid bearing surfaces (both have grease zerks). Also the spindles on my older tractors have centers tapped for retaining bolts while the 312 has cotter pins and my former b-100 had one of each, I assume one had been replaced. When did Wheel Horse change these parts?

Kelly

I'm not sure on the bearings, but I should be close on the way they retained the wheels on the spindle, from the 60's till about 74 they used a bolt in the end of the spindle, then they used a grove cut near the end and used a E clip or snap ring, then in the early 80's they started using cotter pins, this is just from my observation, by no means set in stone.

rick

My '75 C-100 has bolts to retain the front wheels.

rueger-99

My 76 C-120 has an E-clip on one side and a bolt on the other.... :)

Anglo Traction

Yes, It's around '76' that it change from Bolt n Washer to E Clips, the Bearing type continued up to about 1980 (Wheel Bearing Part# 4999). I found this out when I bought a pair of front wheels for my 72 Raider to replace the old ones as thet were pretty bad. I then found that the Wheel style was different as well . The inner Bearing face is parallel to the inner Rim edge giving more Offset on the later ones that I suspect used E-Clip Retainers (Wheel Assy Part# 105882 and the earlier Bolted Wheel part#9652). Not familiar with the Cotter system afraid.

I now have a pair of Refurbed front Wheels with New Tyres n Bearings waiting for a 76 + resto project to roll into my Workshop (when I can find one). Then I can start talkin 'Plural Horses@

Regards

Raider

Well my Raider and '74 C-160 have bolts in the spindles and bearings in the wheels.

My 312-8 has cotter pins.

The B-100 I parted out had one bolt and one cotter pin spindle and solid hubbed wheels.

I have not seen any e-clip type on any thing that's come through here yet. I installed the wheels off the B-100 on my C-160 and they fit fine and work correctly. I'm not crazy about no bearings but it's temporary while I clean up the older wheels.

pfrederi

I am replacing any of my e clip spindles with bolts or cotter pins. Correctness is nice but having the front wheel fall off while plowing snow at the far end of the driveway in the dark is a real PIA.

The e clips do not take as much side loading as the other methods. When plowing the front wheels are frequently being pushed sideways.

Note that the bolts have been known to back out on the left side. Make sure you use lock tite. The original bolts had a blue adhesive on them

rick

WH should have put left hand threads on the left spindle, like

Chrysler did on the left lug bolts . In the old days when they built real cars.......

Docwheelhorse

I think the front wheel retention is done by whatever method they felt like.... I have a 603 that had clips holding on the front wheels that constantly popped off---then I got smart and chucked the spindles into my drill press and tapped them. In the end... if I can't have bolts and washers I will take cotter pins. The E clips and Circlips suck..... PERIOD :):USA: and where one of the very few MISTAKES by Wheel Horse. Plastic fender pans on the black hoods being another :wh:

Tony

gwgdog66

My '75 C-100 has bolts to retain the front wheels.

My 75 C-100 and 75 C-160 have the bolts also.

We ordered some new spindles for my brothers 74 C-160, and found out that they were nolonger available, and replaced with the Cotter pin style spindles.

I haven't replace whell bearings in a while, but do know that the Wheel horse part number got superseaded to a toro #.

876wheelhorse

so i noticed my 856 could use some new bearings up front where can i get some bearings would napa or carquest carry these??

Docwheelhorse

I get mine at my local True Value in the "bolts" eisle.... 3/4" id flanged roller bearings. About $3 apiece.... I'm sure Napa or Carquest could get them but would first have to "find" a part number.

Tony