Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

squirrels a sign for winter?

nylyon

My wife and I, as well Stout the BUDD (big ugly dumb dog) have noticed a lot of squirrels gathering recently. More so than in previous years. Is this s aign that the winter is going to be rough? Anyone else notice a lot of squirrel activity, or is it just me again?

kj4kicks

The weather here (SE PA) is still VERY mild. I do know one thing, the walnut trees have overshot their quota this year. As you know, a WH can launch fallen walnuts quite a distance!

The squirrels have plenty to do, if they ever stop basking in the sun !

CasualObserver

I just said the same thing to my wife over the weekend... it seems that there are tons more squirrels than I've seen in previous years. :D And they're hoarding like crazy... Funniest thing I've seen in a while is a little squirrel trying to carry a big walnut while bounding through the backyard. He'd drop the thing about every third bounce. :( I laugh cause I think, "that's what you get for eating out of my bird feeder all summer you little bastard!" :P Could be a sign of a bad winter to come, but I hope not... I have a lot of traveling to do in December. :(

T-Mo

Squirrels have been bad at my place for a few years now, so I haven't noticed any increase in activity or quantity. Moles have been bad this year though. Also just a couple of weeks ago, just before dust, there was a swarm of dragonflies - I mean literally hundreds of them. Then when the sun went down, they disappeared. Lately I have noticed a lot of yellow jackets, even got stung by one Sunday when I was replacing the front door.

Sparky

I kinda think yer hopin for a nasty snow-filled winter Karl....what with that new blower an all. I just want the garage done before snow so that the plowin and blowin tractors can be in the garage next to the driveway and not deep in the backyard. Half the battle of clearin the driveway is getting the tractors up to the driveway.

Mike......bring it on Ol' Man Winter

nylyon

So wife and I were talking even more about this weather and the animals. Aside from this stinking Beagle barking and making all sorts of odd noises late at night, we haven't seen many deer out there. My neighbor has several apple trees and the apples are falling. Usually we will have tons of deer and turkey gobbling up the fruit, but not this year. Just a lot of squirrels..... and chipmunks too!

CasualObserver

all those freakin deer are out here in the midwest!! The in-laws are getting a nuisance permit for their christmas tree farm... stupid things are destroying a lot of trees... and I can't go two days without seeing one that lost a game of frogger.